Quick question - my recreational night class instructor (by day a pipe-welder) has told me to vertical weld it's basically straight across, pause, back slightly up to end at the top of the starting point, pause - repeat pattern. Seems to align with all other advice - can I ask why some 'vertical weld' pictures I've seen seem to have the stack of nickels appearance like with a cursive lower case "e" pattern? Is that probably because that what was done?!

Also - can someone please explain the 'whip' movement I've seen mentioned here?