Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Vertical technique

Hi,

Quick question - my recreational night class instructor (by day a pipe-welder) has told me to vertical weld it's basically straight across, pause, back slightly up to end at the top of the starting point, pause - repeat pattern. Seems to align with all other advice - can I ask why some 'vertical weld' pictures I've seen seem to have the stack of nickels appearance like with a cursive lower case "e" pattern? Is that probably because that what was done?!

Also - can someone please explain the 'whip' movement I've seen mentioned here?

Thx.
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP

The stack look probably came from a vertical down weld as opposed to vertical up...

My vertical down looks way better than my vertical up

Default Vertical technique

Whip is just moving the rod out of the puddle, allowing it to freeze, then back in the puddle. In vertical that would be moving it up slightly and back down into the puddle. Usually done with a 6010 rod and not a 7018 rod. Great for filling gaps.

Hi John, are you back in school? If so what nite? I'll stop by and help you because i kind of feel this instructor isn't being of much help and he needs all the help he can get. Let me know or you can call me. Joe

Simple side to side motion pausing at each edge to fill and not undercut. moving up slightly as you move across each time to advance the puddle upwards. I've tried many different techniques or patterns but find them of no value added and just KISS (keep it simple) side to side. Move faster across the middle to keep the weld flat if you are getting rounded bead.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

All - thanks for your replies - these are helpful.

Joe - I'll give you a shout about getting together - I appreciate the offer. I may be spotty getting to class from here on out due to some positive life events so maybe it'll be an out of class lesson!
    Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC
    Millermatic 211 Auto/MVP