Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default bobcat(skid loader bucket)

Just wondering the skid plate on the bottom of the bucket....not the cutting edge....is that hardened steel?....what would be the best process to repair it with....we have a miller252 mig welder and an old Hobart stick welder here at my work....thanks for your input

I'm assuming your talking about the floor? If you are it is mild steel. Any wear bars underneath are usually just mild also on these buckets. Just replace it with mild steel & you'll be fine. You can use your 252 with mild steel wire, dual shield or inner shield & it will work.

If you want to put some ar wear strips that will wear better but more money & you can use the same process & wire as above.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks MMW....boss decided he wanted me to fill the worn out areas in and just leave it go...got partially done with one side and it looked like crap...plus the 1/8 inch plate on the bottom was so worn down it wasn't an 1/8 in anymore on top of being rusted so I found some flat 1/8 in we had and started cutting out the bad spots and patching them in....should finish up tommorrow ....we don't have much in the way of metal in stock so I scrounge around for whatever I can find

turbo38t Guest

You see more and more of this nowadays... I just fixed a 314 bucket.....the floor was so bent in but boss just wanted it "banged out".....well.....to be honest it would've been quicker to just cut the floor and bars out in one piece, cut a 1/2" floor on the plasma table and bend it quick in the brake...instead I spent more time burn the old wear bars off, heating and hammering the floor(with an excavator stick as well) and then the floor was still pretty mangled so the gaps I had to fill were pretty big in spots....this also leads to an old floor that will wear out in the high spots.....but ...like many companies they don't look more than 500 feet down the road....
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr74 View Post
    Thanks MMW....boss decided he wanted me to fill the worn out areas in and just leave it go...got partially done with one side and it looked like crap...plus the 1/8 inch plate on the bottom was so worn down it wasn't an 1/8 in anymore on top of being rusted so I found some flat 1/8 in we had and started cutting out the bad spots and patching them in....should finish up tommorrow ....we don't have much in the way of metal in stock so I scrounge around for whatever I can find

I finished up Friday....wasn't pretty but it'll get the job done and prolong the bucket life....ended up using 3/16 x3 inch flat stock...made all the cuts and was taking out the bad strip and you think it would come out in one piece...noooo....it was filled in before with weld so needless to say my repair looked like a jigsaw puzzle....not one nice long strip....welds looked nice...boss said just patch around the weld...and not spend time grind the weld out....that would of taken awhile...so I did...it's done and will last a little while longer....total cost I kinda figured up....my pay(200.00)public employee....material around 15.00....but I loved it....got me some weld time

Post some pictures of the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo38t View Post
    You see more and more of this nowadays... I just fixed a 314 bucket.....the floor was so bent in but boss just wanted it "banged out".....well.....to be honest it would've been quicker to just cut the floor and bars out in one piece, cut a 1/2" floor on the plasma table and bend it quick in the brake...instead I spent more time burn the old wear bars off, heating and hammering the floor(with an excavator stick as well) and then the floor was still pretty mangled so the gaps I had to fill were pretty big in spots....this also leads to an old floor that will wear out in the high spots.....but ...like many companies they don't look more than 500 feet down the road....
    Exactly what i was thinking.About quicker to just cut all out and replace.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA