Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Bad Buy MM Vintage $500 not so good

i made a bad buy Wednesday afternoon, thought i made a good buy till i told my buddy this thing don't seem to have the ump of a 250 amp welder that it should after another member saying it had a high and low range i got to looking the pdf manual over i discovered the Millermatic Vintage has a high and low range which i did not know none of the MM's had well low and behold the high low selector is fried its wired to low range hopefully the guy will return my money or agree to pay for part of the fix not a good first day of spring at least i am still breathing....lol

Have you checked on the cost of the part? If you have a part # go to Miller4less.com & check price. It may not be to bad.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

i am gonna try to find out today how much it is thanks for the tip, i will take all the help i can get

Default tedster

Please don't post the same issue in two different threads! I posted the Miller PN for the switch and dust cover, and here is the switch.

http://miller4less.com/advanced_sear...18&search.y=13

Dust Cover
    http://miller4less.com/advanced_sear...10&search.y=12

See if he'll help with the cost of the parts. If not, at $600 you're still in pretty cheap.
    Last edited by cope; 03-21-2013 at 04:53 AM.

If your confident in your abilities I would try bypassing the switch to put it in high range & try it first to make sure it works before buying any new parts. You should be able to do this simply.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

thats a good idea but i am gonna look it over a little i am almost possitive its not on high right now maybe tomorrow nite or sat, i did talk to the guy and he said he won't give me any money back because it worked good for him but he did say he would sell me a full bottle of C 25 the 3ft tall one for $75 and its a bought tank so i told him i would take it.
    i will put a pic up maybe someone nows what side its on
    Attached Images Attached Images

A vintage for $500 is to cheep he knew some thing was wrong with it . A 250 amp welder for $500 would have me wondering if some thing was up .
    MM140 AS
    375 Xstream
    Diversion 180
    Dynasty 200DX

Quote Originally Posted by Autobodytec View Post
    A vintage for $500 is to cheep he knew some thing was wrong with it . A 250 amp welder for $500 would have me wondering if some thing was up .
    i talked to him after i found out about the switch i believe him when he said he didn't know anything about it,he did not have it listed for sale he responded to a want ad i had on Craigslist he originally wanted $700 for the welder and tank he was gonna put it on CL for $800 i had him at $500 on the welder he is a decent guy self employed and he had another 100 Amp wirefeed he had no need for it really he felt bad when i called him back he said he would give me a 3ft tall full C 25 bottle thats a bought bottle so i am gonna take it.
    it still welds good

Default still a great price

i have a miller vintage. bought it new in the early 90's i had to replace the 6 position switch on the front of the machine. i think it was $60-$80. other than that ive put about a million pounds of wire through it without a problem. if i could buy another for $500 and put a switch in it i would in a heartbeat. you still see them go for $1200-$1500.great old machines cant kill them. good luck

this one welds nice i just used the last of my C 25 gas the welder is on the low side now tomorrow i am gonna put a bottle of CO2 on it my buddy let me borrow and wire it on the high side and see how it welds,the new switch and cover and liner is a $100 bill seems like a nice welder for a total of $600 with the parts i can live with that.
    But if i do 3/8 or 1/2 in with it i need the high side working for proper penetration