Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mm251 ground

Default mm251 ground

The ground cable is getting too hot to touch. I would think I need to go a size up. Will that help? Fwiw, the cooling fan is running constantly. I think the clamp and cable are original. The clamp has 300 amps stamped into it.

Thanks.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

More of a case where the ground clamp needs to be changed to the proper brass version

Also keep your ground clamp close to the work, clean the ground surface and make sure the fasteners are tight.

I hook my ground to what I'm welding not the welding table if possible .

http://store.cyberweld.com/grounclam400.html

Default I never seen these before, Miller smartphone mobil welding calculators.

Good information for new welders. I love you Miller! http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...bile/index.php

Thanks guys. Normally I just clamp it to the table. This time I am clamping to the work piece 6-12" from the weld zone. I can't get any closer. Welding 3/8" thick stuff and doing feet at a time of weld. Most of the welding I do is smaller stuff and the fitup/tacking takes all the time and the welding is short. Also usually 1/4" or less.

I will look into a better clamp and see if that helps. The clamp itself was super hot, and the insulator of the ground wire was too warm to comfortable hold for about 1 foot from the ground clamp. It was a good, clean grounding spot for most of the welding, but not all.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

If's funny how electricity looks for and often finds unintended grounds. I've had come a longs and chain falls hung from beams have their chains get warm because the ground connection on a pipe wasn't good.

Best keep all your welding cables and clamps in good condition or tragedies can happen.

I kind of remember reading another story where a construction worker fell from his man basket due to his man baskets cable becoming ground and melting into. Always should have your welding cables come up from below when welding in a man basket, not hang them down from the top of a building where they can come in contact with the man baskets cable.

http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/f...EPORT-017.html

Good welding Elvis.
    Last edited by tackit; 03-20-2013 at 12:18 PM.

If the ground clamp jaws have the half moon looking teeth. Well , thats plain and simple high resistance factory crap. Get the brass clamp. Your welds will be exceedingly better, and no more heat problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    If the ground clamp jaws have the half moon looking teeth. Well , thats plain and simple high resistance factory crap. Get the brass clamp. Your welds will be exceedingly better, and no more heat problems.
    Yep. Factory crap. I am typically underutilizing this machine and welding small or thin things. Now I know. Why does miller even bother with the cheap stamped stuff?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    If's funny how electricity looks for and often finds unintended grounds. I've had come a longs and chain falls hung from beams have their chains get warm because the ground connection on a pipe wasn't good.

Best keep all your welding cables and clamps in good condition or tragedies can happen.

I kind of remember reading another story where a construction worker fell from his man basket due to his man baskets cable becoming ground and melting into. Always should have your welding cables come up from below when welding in a man basket, not hang them down from the top of a building where they can come in contact with the man baskets cable.

http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/f...EPORT-017.html

Good welding Elvis.
    Thanks Tackit,

That was an interesting read. And good to know. I'm usually on solid ground welding, but that doesn't mean that is how it will always be. Once again I continue to learn important lessons every day!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA