Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller matic 200 VS Miller Vintage

some say these 2 welders have the same insides is that true,just curious to know i am trying to pick a vintage up

Look at the top of this page under resources, you can find owner's manuals for both machines. Download them, then compare wiring diagrams and parts lists.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

it won't let me dowload the pdf on to my mac book

Quote Originally Posted by tedster View Post
    it won't let me dowload the pdf on to my mac book
    Can you open it online? They may be similar, but the Vintage has a High/Low switch, so they are not the same.

Heres the scoop, The reason they made the Vintage was back somewhere around 1994 ( And I might be off by a couple years ) They started making mig welders that had alot more electronics in them. So I got rid of my 1988 millermatic 200 and got the new better one. ( And I think they called it a Miller Matic 250 )
    Well it was by no means better. So I called my welding supplier and complained and he said ( Oh, You must like old transformer type so he gave me the vintage.

At the same time I went into a plant to do some welding and they had the new 250 and that one also had bad arc characteristics.

So to answer your question : The Vintage is a great machine and my guess is that the MM200 is also, you just dont want to get the 250 around that time.

Last summer I stumbled upon a gently used MM 200 at a garage sale just like my old 1988 model and we are currently using it and its just as good as my Vintage that I still have and my XMT 304.

ok picked up the MM vintage needs a little cleaning and there were no consumables but it welds decent i think its a good deal for $500

Default vintage vs 200

Quote Originally Posted by tedster View Post
    some say these 2 welders have the same insides is that true,just curious to know i am trying to pick a vintage up
    I have both of these machines in my shop,they may have similar "insides" but they weld completely different. the Vintage is one of if not the best and easyest welding machine I have ever used(soft easy starting arc)very pleasant to use the only odd thing I have noticed is it is finicky about the ground ,must have a good ground.The 200 ia great machine ,just different.I bought both of these new and they have and still are giving great service.Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by voudoux View Post
    I have both of these machines in my shop,they may have similar "insides" but they weld completely different. the Vintage is one of if not the best and easyest welding machine I have ever used(soft easy starting arc)very pleasant to use the only odd thing I have noticed is it is finicky about the ground ,must have a good ground.The 200 ia great machine ,just different.I bought both of these new and they have and still are giving great service.Good luck
    i just ordered the HIGH&LOW RANGE switch and dust cover and forgot to order the switch handle i need to install it yet, the ground on this one gets pretty hot at the clamp i am gonna shorten the wire and put a new clamp on it and put a new liner in the whip.
    i hope i get a lot of years of use out it

Default millermatic vintage

I have had very good results on the ground clamp with using a set of vise grips on the work piece and putting the ground clamp on the vise grips.I know this sounds odd but I ues the vintage about every day and it makes adifference.Good luck

i got the high/low range switch and dust cover back on i forgot to order the switch knob works but i still need to get a liner and put a new adjustment knob and bolt hold down for wire tensioner then it should be good to go