Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Miller Spectrum 375 with ICE 27c Torch

Hello everyone...just a quick question on a used plasma cutter I just picked up.

I found a really good deal on a Miller Spectrum 375 with ICE 27c torch head. I had to replace/splice the ground wire. I did it the correct way, with a yellow butt connector and 12 gauge wire. The old ground is about two feet out of the machine. I also disassembled the torch head and cleaned it out, I also wrapped electrical tape where I thought there could be issues (no shielding on spade connectors inside the torch head).

I also made sure I thoroughly cleaned the filter inside the machine itself. When I took the outer casing off the machine looked brand-new on the inside.

There is a problem when I try to cut with it. I got it to work "somewhat" on some stainless tubing. It was really really thin, and when I tried to cut it the arc seemed to die out...but it did make the cut although the pressure light was continuously blinking.

I hooked it up to a different air compressor at a different place and tried cutting again. Now, this is where it gets weird.....

I can tell the compressor is running and I go to set the air pressure and turn the output knob all the way to the left...I end up hearing air pulsing through the torch, then I set my output to cut the metal. When I try to cut, I can tell the arc wants start (actually it's just a spark) but it won't and the pressure light is blinking again.

Can anyone tell me what may be up with the machine? I'm leaning toward these little 5 gallon air compressors don't have enough behind them to power the machine. I deliberately left the shield loose on the tip and the cup light came one, so I think the machine is working correctly.

I thought this machine was a pilot start, and I should see arc starting no matter what...UNLESS there is a failsafe in the machine that prevents the arc from starting if there isn't the correct volume of air coming out of the torch.

....any ideas
    Last edited by mfldmike; 03-18-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Default re: Miller Spectrum 375 with ICE 27c Torch

Quote Originally Posted by mfldmike View Post

I can tell the compressor is running and I go to set the air pressure and turn the output knob all the way to the left...I end up hearing air pulsing through the torch, then I set my output to cut the metal. When I try to cut, I can tell the arc wants start (actually it's just a spark) but it won't and the pressure light is blinking again.

....any ideas
    I have an older Spectrum 375 and my regulator increases pressure by turning the knob clockwise (to the right), set at ~60 psi. I also run mine using a standard 110V Craftsman air compressor and it supplies it pretty well, so it may not be that your compressor doesn't have enough oomph. You may need to check the regulator on the plasma cutter to make sure it's operating properly and passing sufficient air through.

Good luck with that, and if you have any info as to whether the consumables in the ICE-27C are interchangeable with those in an ICE-25C, I would appreciate it.

Good luck!

Dave

From what I understand the ICE 27C Torch consumables can accept the ICE 25 consumables.

http://www.xedf.com/itw/products/pla...cklist.php.htm

(scroll down to the bottom right)
    Last edited by mfldmike; 03-19-2013 at 05:44 AM.

I have a 375 extreme and the pressure light was constantly on and no pilot arc.
    First thing get All new Miller consumables in the torch. Clones make a difference.
    Then turn the set knob counter clockwise and adjust air to 90 psi.
    Turn knob back to required setting and test.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Ok...so what does it mean when the pressure light is continuously blinks? Is it not sufficient air flow?

Yes your air is not enough.
    Ji
    Grip it and Rip it