Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Tanks

Fort Collins Co., but moving to Billings Mont. soon

Default Moving Tanks

Hello

We are in the process of moving, and my welders are not hooked up at the present. I am wondering how to move my Mig and Tig welding tanks safely as well as cutting torch tanks.

The guy at the welding supply center said it is safe to lay tanks down flat as long as the covers are on them and they are secure.

I am thinking of making a wooden cradel to hold these flat and lash them down securly in that.

Any comments or suggestions. I will be hauling them in the back of my pickup. It is a long move from Colorado to Montana so it is about an 8 hour drive.

I know you need to let Act. Tanks stand up right quite a while before using them again once they have been laying down.

Unfortuantly I am not able to weld a metal rack to stand them upright in my pickup right now.

Thank you very much for your help!

Frank
    Frank

Frank,

you should be ok as long as you put the caps on and sucure them
    and like you said the actealine botel should be set in the upright position and not used for a while to let the liquid settle before use.

Default Tanks

Thanks Richard! I appreciate the reply!

Frank
    Frank

Default moving tanks

All gases and gas mixtures in cylinders can be Transported (horizotally) without problems except for acetylene. Acetylene in pure form needs time to disolve into the <carrier> to become stable. This time frame respects the amount of time the acetylene was stored in a horizotal position. Generally, one hour is sufficent, but tempuratures play a part in this time frame.

If you light your torch and the flame is purple instead of blue, shut it off! Purple indicates that the acetone from the acetylene cylinder is burning instead of the acetylene it self, and can lead to explosion problems.

I would ask your supplier if it's safe to transport acetylene horizontally over a long period. Since the acetone is a cushion basically for the acetylene's stability. Short trips I'm sure are fine, but long ones would concern me.

If your planning on building a wooden crate to hold them in the bottom of your truck, couldn't you build the crate so that the tanks sit upright? Should be simple enough to do, and then you have more of your truck to pack the rest of your house/garage into.
    Just a thought.
    The difference between No One. and No. One is where you put the period. John Force

I've attached a rough drawing of a crate for you. Just remeber that this is a shipping crate, not a trasportation rack. Shipping crates are not designed to have easy access. They're made to take a beating and protect the product inside. They are usually stapled together (quicker and cheaper) but I would just use screws. Most of the crates that I deal with that are screwed togeter are done so with long drywall screws.
    I made this drawing using 2x4 lumber-easy to get and cheap. Buy the cheapest 2x4's that you can. Some lumber stores (not Home Depot) have a stack of lumber that aren't any good for building with, but would be good enough for a shipping crate (knots, checks, rounded edges, warped), and they are usually really cheap. You can pick up the tie-down rings, stake-pocket attachment points and ratchet straps from Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes ect.
    Construction.
    You need to isolate as much movement as you can, so that the cylinders don't beat apart the crate. Build a the squared ring to go around the cilinder. Build at least 4/cylinder. Make them tight, but also allow them to slide down the cylinders during construction. Make them individual, or as a grouping for all the cylinders, what ever works for you. Now using full length boards, reinforce the entire setup.
    No matter how you plan to transport these, it's going to be heavy, so your best bet would be to construct the crate in the back of your truck, with the tanks in place, unless you have access to a forklift.
    You may find you require mor eanchor points to secure the crate, so it might be wise to have a few extra rings and straps handy.
    One final note; bungy straps are never GOOD ENOUGH to secure tanks. I was in a shop when the valve on an O2 tank got knocked off. It demolished a car and went through 3 cinderblock walls before it spun itself empty out in the yard. Luckly, no one got hurt.
    Hope this helps
    Good luck with your move.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The difference between No One. and No. One is where you put the period. John Force

Default Moving Tanks

I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied. It is very helpful.

Thanks
    Frank
    Frank

your welcome,
    Frank

No Problem. Let us know how your move goes.