Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: monster dumbell

Default monster dumbell

Hi, really struggling to find a way to make these rounded dumbells, are they casted? I know the more crude ones are made from pipe. And if they are casted iron, would a regular iron mongers be able to make them. Does anyone know whats involved? Big money? I'm in Ireland.

Default bells

Just a few pics of what I'm on about
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

Cast iron would be the cheapest way but you would need patterns or a buddy in a foundry. The round ones could be lathe turned from barstock but that wouldn't be real cheap. I have a ballturner that will do a 6" steel ball but i have never turned over 3". You could use small tank dome ends and get them pretty round by welding 2 end to end on each end with a bar between them but you would have to fill them with someting heavy to suit...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

i like the first pic, thats from the big boys gym, are you guys into power liffting

The third and fifth pictures look like weld caps back to back. Might be filled with lead and then welded. Waiting to hear about the others.

Some in your pictures are fabricated and some are cast. It depends on how many you need/want/can sell. If you only need only a few it is likely easier and cheaper to buy them. Over here there is a lot if that sort of thing available from the far east quite cheap. There are also some that have replaceable weights on a short bar. Some are hexagonal so they don't roll and could be cut from steel plate. If you are set on making your own I guess it depends on how well you are equipped, that is what tools are available to you? Lead will give you more weight/volume and is realatively easy to cast/weld and machine but the use of it is frowned upon on your side of the pond if I'm not mistaken. I don't know what the capabilities of your local iron monger are but cast iron is going to require a foundry as Bob said. You could also consider reinforced concrete on a bar with rebar welded to the bar. As long as you don't drop them on a hard surface they will give you weight and you can cast them in a reusable wooden form in whatever shape you like.
    Meltedmetal

If you could find used kids bowling balls cheap, they come in different weights. Thread the ball, insert a stud, weld end plates on the end of a pipe handle and tap the end plates for the stud.

Here's one I made before with 12 inch pipe, 56kg empty, I ran the 2 inch bar/handle all the way through so I could add weights either end. I just really liked the look of the rounded (Thomas inch) style ones, real old school. Thanks all for the great input. I'll try and find a heavy duty foundry. It's just something I want to get done. The help on the forum has been very helpful, thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add Content

Default monster dumbell

That's not me in that pic btw, I'm more handsome than that