Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Stick Welding Cast Iron with Nickel-99 Electrodes (Video)

Goodafternoon, everyone

So, here's my latest repair... Its a Cast Iron bench vise I'm fixing up for a buddy of mine:

When the thing showed up, the front jaw was cleanly broken from the slide, and I knew it had seen some better days...

So, a quick spark test determined it was probably gray cast iron, possibly white cast, but either way I knew it was, ideally, a job for Nickel Electrodes, as those are two of the harder kinds of cast to weld.

I'd used 7018 on Cast with success before, but since this wasn't my vise I didn't want to take a chance on it. I spent $30 on a pack of 10 Nickel-99 Electrodes from Tractor Supply, and after realizing they were only 12" long instead of the usual 14, I got to work.

I quickly discovered that the instructions were useless and it took almost twice the "recommended" amperage to put down a half decent weld, but got setup to run them at 95 amps on A/C...

After lighting up the rosebud and preheating the daylights out of the casting, I started welding, peening, welding some more and hopeing for the best...

I then buried the part in sand, and HOURS (literally) later it was cool enough to touch, and then I torture-tested the finished repair. I'm very happy with how this turned out, I got to run some nickel electrodes, and had another successful cast iron repair

Anyway, I really enjoyed making this video, and fixing something that can be put back in service... It was a fun job. Just thought I'd stop in and share the video before I leave for school here, hope you guys enjoy it. Have a great week, everyone!!

Cool

Nice job. Gotta love fixing cast....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Haha yeah, sure is a little different

Very nice video and job. If I can give you a positive criticism it would be to post heat the whole area after your done welding to normalize the weld heat affected zone then put it in the sand, this post heat will give you a piece of mind when the owner of the vise will start banging on some metal clamp in the vise.
    Nice video, very interesting to watch keep up the good work.
    cheers.

turbo38t Guest

I was gonna mention this. I repaired a mounting plate on an IR ECM350 drill once ....it was 1/2" plate.....I welded the motor flanges mounts to it with preheat, post heat and sand (black beauty actually)and it did well in a beat test with a hammer....I welded small bits at a time and peaned in between. The problem I had was when I bolted it back up....I hadn't bolted it flat when I repaired it as I needed to move it in different position s to weld it....well, needless to say the stress the bolts put on it when I tightened it back up "strasightened " the plate out and cause a crack....wondering how a vise will fair once the initial stress of snugging something in it and beating on it will fair....I used Nickel 99 rods as well...Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Very nice video and job. If I can give you a positive criticism it would be to post heat the whole area after your done welding to normalize the weld heat affected zone then put it in the sand, this post heat will give you a piece of mind when the owner of the vise will start banging on some metal clamp in the vise.
    Nice video, very interesting to watch keep up the good work.
    cheers.

This is when a jig comes in very handy, that is if you know a good machinist to make one for you out of good solid steel, fasten it good on it preheat weld away then post heat and it's as good as new