Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I don't see this working.

An engine driven welder must have the engine rpms at a precise speed otherwise weld output will suffer. Usually diesels spin at a much lower rpm than gasoline engines, therefore unless you spin the diesel at high rpms (which could be damaging, I don't know the rated rpms on that particular motor) then output will be substantially limited.

If you want to run something other than gasoline, there are companies that make propane conversion kits.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112:305053
    I don't see this working.

An engine driven welder must have the engine rpms at a precise speed otherwise weld output will suffer. Usually diesels spin at a much lower rpm than gasoline engines, therefore unless you spin the diesel at high rpms (which could be damaging, I don't know the rated rpms on that particular motor) then output will be substantially limited.

If you want to run something other than gasoline, there are companies that make propane conversion kits.

-Brian
    This is what I was thinking when he first posted this thread. But I found out that the smaller diesel engine drives are a high speed diesel where the larger machines are low speed. They do also mention that the high speed diesel's do not have the long lifetime like the low speeds but do last longer than gas drives.

Quote Originally Posted by tttahoe1:304621
    null
    There is a miller certified shop around here (Seaford Delaware) called Warren electric. Look them up, call em and ask for big Mickey. This dude is an old timer that really knows his stuff about welders, he's been doing it a really long time. I guarantee he will show interest in what your doing and guide you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    This is what I was thinking when he first posted this thread. But I found out that the smaller diesel engine drives are a high speed diesel where the larger machines are low speed. They do also mention that the high speed diesel's do not have the long lifetime like the low speeds but do last longer than gas drives.
    Thats pretty interesting. I'd like to see him try this then. It would be a neat project. If it works, maybe I'll start looking for an engine drive with a bad motor lol