Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Repowering a Bobcat 225 from Onan gas to Onan diesel

Team,

First post on this site.

Probably should have thought of this site before I ever started down the road of this project.

Fast pass: I traded myself into a Bobcat 225 that I knew had sat out in the weather. The air cleaner was non-existent, which meant that the Onan Performer engine was going to need some love.

After checking on rebuild kits for the Performer, I tripped across a freshly refurbished 2 cylinder Onan diesel. Some guy had purchased a bunch of them from military surplus auction.

Rotation of the diesel is correct for the Bobcat.

I have yet to separate the Onan gas engine from the generation unit as it appears I need to pull both as a unit from the Bobcat frame and then remove the loooooong bolts that run from front of generation/power unit, through the back and into the Onan Performer.

Although I am partial to diesel power, if the consensus is to stick with the Onan gas engine - I will whole heartedly listen. I am not interested in creating the next Batmobile - just looking to get this welder running.

If gas: any recommendations for affordable rebuild kits on the Onan Performer?

If diesel: any guidance/recommendations on how to come off the flywheel of the Onan diesel and connect to the power unit?

From what I have briefly read, the Onan Performer has a tapered snout shaft that runs off "front" of engine.

Under the statement that: Anything can be accomplished with enough money and time.......................I am - unfortunately - a little short on both right now. Any insight on best path from point A to running welder - would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Default Doesn't anyone from Miller monitor this site?

Team Miller,

Surprising to me that a forum sponsored by the company and part of your website - isn't monitored by company personnel.

My post/request has had 225 views. NOBODY from Miller spends time on this site?

I could understand if it was an obscure welding forum - but my question was about a Miller welder.........posted on the Miller sponsored forum.

Comment in any direction you want - just comment.

I've got an old Lincoln tombstone arc welder. Perhaps I will see if I get any better response from the Lincoln team when I request help from them.

When y'all are in your corporate meetings trying to figure out how to improve brand loyalty - may I suggest a discussion around replying to customers asking for help? I guarantee you it will go a long way. I am positive that you can find some consulting firms that will teach you how to say "hello" to a customer.......in exchange for a lot of money.

Thank you so very much. My experience was great.

I think its best to e-mail Miller. There are some guys on here who may be able to help but you'll have to wait until they log in and maybe have the answers.

This site gets a good bit of traffic, most like myself wouldn't have a clue to what your asking. Just hang around awhile and someone will come along that knows how to help.

Good luck

Call Miller direct on the phone. Ask for the engine drive dept. You'll be able to talk to a tech.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

ttahoe1 wrote --

When y'all are in your corporate meetings trying to figure out how to improve brand loyalty - may I suggest a discussion around replying to customers asking for help? I guarantee you it will go a long way. I am positive that you can find some consulting firms that will teach you how to say "hello" to a customer.......in exchange for a lot of money. ----End quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe if you contacted them direct instead of a post on an open forum? See below.

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Call Miller direct on the phone. Ask for the engine drive dept. You'll be able to talk to a tech.
    Last edited by MMW; 03-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

ttahoe1 wrote --

When y'all are in your corporate meetings trying to figure out how to improve brand loyalty - may I suggest a discussion around replying to customers asking for help? I guarantee you it will go a long way. I am positive that you can find some consulting firms that will teach you how to say "hello" to a customer.......in exchange for a lot of money.

Maybe if you contacted them direct instead of a post on an open forum?
    Best suggestion yet to get a more timely response. This way they can address your questions more quickly for you. It would be a good idea to have the engine serial & model numbers handy when you contact them, along with any other info you can get off the engine data plate or other sources.

Give them a call, what have you got to lose(except extended wait time for your answers)?

When and if you do get ahold of a Miller rep be sure and tell them how important YOU and your question are, bet they drop everything just to help YOU out.
    Last edited by Old Skool; 03-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tttahoe1 View Post

I've got an old Lincoln tombstone arc welder. Perhaps I will see if I get any better response from the Lincoln team when I request help from them.
    Yup the Lincoln forum is ready and waiting ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I can't believe you ask such a question when that's not done much and then belly ach about about nobody getting involved and then get the moderator involved this is a great site don't mess it up . Do a Search for the the Lincoln site you may be there awhile good luck and good riddance . I just found out the other day what a troll is.