Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default mig/flux core welding Ductile Iron

hey, before i start this thread i would like to make sure mention that yes ductile iron and cast iron are not the same(they are similar).... cast iron is very strong and has basically zero malleability, ductile iron (well the name says it and also known as nodular iron) is very similar to cast iron but has the addition of magnesium which makes it much tougher and malleable.

so basically i dont know if anyone has ever welded ductile iron, but if you have your comments will be appreciated and if haven't well some day you might have this problem so it could be interesting to read... Now i have recently started welding this material with an arc welder and 92% nickel based electrodes (z308). it took me a while to find out what electrodes to use since the cast electrodes just wouldnt work... they would crack wight down the center of the weld or at the foot of the weld... so once i got the proper electrodes everything went well but now i have too much production and cant keep up with the arc welder so i am going with the GMAW/FCAW but i have no idea what electrode/wire to use.... i have read most people use the NI55FC-G or royal 44-30 premium nickel wires but these are for cast iron and cast iron rods/electrodes crack with Ductile Iron... anyone has ever worked/GMAW OR FCAW welded Ductile Iron before??

Cool

http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet...ew_Warning.pdf

Typical Applications:
    Royal 44-30 is excellent for making repairs on all ductile and malleable irons. Royal 44-30 is also useful for the welding of other high-strength nodular and gray cast irons where maximum strength and ductility are required. The addition of manganese provides superior wetting and crack- resistant weldability on even the most difficult cast iron applications. The Royal 44-30 is also used for surfacing to improve wear resistance or for buildup. Also best for welding steel or stainless steel to cast iron.

So whats the problem? ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PSA ENG View Post
    hey,it is very similar to cast iron but has the addition of magnesium which makes it much tougher and malleable.
    Magnesium in steel ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48