Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So the table I think you have spec sheet says it is only 14 ga. thick top. No wonder it warped.

Real welding tables are thick to avoid warping. If they send you another top it will warp also from the heat. 14 ga. will never stay flat in a welding environment. You did nothing wrong other than assuming it would not warp.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

If you really want a welding table that won't warp consider a cast iron platen but be sure you are sitting down when you ask the price. search for "welding platens" on the net. Or you could go down to the scrap yard that is buying all the storm drain grates that are disappearing out of the streets and buy one of those.
    Meltedmetal

What's that all about I wonder?

Sorry homer for the confusion, i was just pulling your leg... saying that now you can weld hotter and longer due to your clean air in your shop.

You' re probably now too much of a welder for this hobbyist table wich is pretty light gauge as others said.

I actually felt the tug on my leg. That may very well be part of the problem...I'm growing up. Now I can work at the big table!

I just received an email from Gary at Strong Hand Tools. He apologized for customer service not getting back to me. He also said that this was the first time in several thousand sales that he has heard of this problem. He assured me that their engineering dept. will look into this so that they may avoid any future problems. He has offered to send me out a new top for the table. Maybe just a coincidence, but I wonder if they saw this post?

Homer Sapien, If your table is indeed only 14 Ga. it will always warp, Buy yourself a 1/4" plate.

I know you are right. I will use the table for very light duty things and come up with something else for the more robust projects...

I might buy one of these to hang in my trailer. I'm confident they will warp laying a weld flat right on top. I could see where one might come in handy out on a small tig project tho.

I might build a similer table out of some thick aluminum also. Got to keep the weight down.

The part that really baffles me is that it is called a "welding table", but I guess you can't really do much "welding" on it.