Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Strong Hand Tools - Absolutey No Customer Service!!

I purchased a Nomad portable welding table from Strong Hand Tools about a year ago. For the past 6 weeks or so, I have been having trouble with the table top warping when I weld on it. I am not a professional welder, just a hobbyist. Most of my welding consists of small projects around the house/garage and welding practice. I decided to contact them to see what they would do about my problem. I emailed them a week ago. I sent another email on Monday. On Tuesday, I called them on the phone and spoke with someone named Jeff, who said that in the thousands of tables that they've sold, he NEVER heard of the table warping before. He said that he would pass my contact info on to management and that someone would get back to me. At noon today, I still had not heard back from anyone so I decided to try to contact them via email one more time before I started this thread, but I see now that that was a waste of time.

The Strong Hand Tools Nomad Portable Welding Table is basically a piece of junk. I guess they must be doing so well that they don't feel that they need any customer service. I hope this makes people think twice about purchasing anything from Strong Hand Tools.

now that the smoke no longer bothers you, you over heat your table... your smoke evcuator is too good ;o)

It's sad to buy tools that are not delivering as promised, you'll have to make your own...

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    now that the smoke no longer bothers you, you over heat your table... your smoke evcuator is too good ;o)

It's sad to buy tools that are not delivering as promised, you'll have to make your own...

You think that maybe the table's been warping from the getgo but I couldn't see it for the smoke?

You might want to post some pics and how you are using the table. maybe you are doing something wrong or using it for what it was not intended for. I see and hear people whine and ***** when they abuse a tool all the time and want someone to bend over backwards for them. Not saying that's you...so show us
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Cool

I just love it when a company says "you are the first one to complain" I always hear that too...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

You might want to post some pics and how you are using the table. maybe you are doing something wrong or using it for what it was not intended for. I see and hear people whine and ***** when they abuse a tool all the time and want someone to bend over backwards for them. Not saying that's you...so show us
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I'll try to do that next time I use it. I don't think I'm using the table wrong or abusing it for what it's intended either. I try to weld near the left or right edge whenever I can, since it it strongest there, but that is not always possible. I usually try to place another piece of material under what I am practicing on. The first time it happened, I was practicing on a 3/16" piece of scrap just running beads. I had a piece of 18g sheet metal underneath. I looked down and the middle panel was about 3/8" or more lower that the other panels. It came back up somewhat but I had to coax it with a mallet to get it even close to what it was. After that, it's just gotten worse. All I expected was that I would receive something resembling some form of customer service from Strong Hand.

That is why i built my own table. It is pretty thing (1/2" thick) but it works great. I found a nice piece of 1/2" plate in the drop pile and snagged it for $.55/#.

I usually get the "you're the first" comment from companies too. The last place I worked we had a brand new forestry machine that couldn't keep the tracks tensioned. And then the rams started ripping out of the lift arm. And then the lift arm cracked in half... Turns out i'm the only one with this issue. Problem is a different part of the company also had some of those machines and they broke in all the same places. The same guy that I talked to had dealt with the other operator/manager and told them they were the first to have those problems. How can each person that calls be the first?! Whoops, I am ranting again... it must be Friday!

Anyways, I hope it works out for you. What a GREAT excuse to go buy a half sheet or full sheet of .500 or .750 plate and build your own!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    That is why i built my own table. It is pretty thing (1/2" thick) but it works great. I found a nice piece of 1/2" plate in the drop pile and snagged it for $.55/#.

I usually get the "you're the first" comment from companies too. The last place I worked we had a brand new forestry machine that couldn't keep the tracks tensioned. And then the rams started ripping out of the lift arm. And then the lift arm cracked in half... Turns out i'm the only one with this issue. Problem is a different part of the company also had some of those machines and they broke in all the same places. The same guy that I talked to had dealt with the other operator/manager and told them they were the first to have those problems. How can each person that calls be the first?! Whoops, I am ranting again... it must be Friday!

Anyways, I hope it works out for you. What a GREAT excuse to go buy a half sheet or full sheet of .500 or .750 plate and build your own!
    Gee, I thought that I was the only one!

So I just posted here with a link to what I think is the table you have & it "needs to be approved by a moderator". Annoying.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24