Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had the power company run a new 200 amp underground service with it's own meter to my shop which is about 150 ft away from the house. They installed a bigger transformer on the pole, did all the work up to the meter, I had to provide them a three inch tile for going under the driveway. It's a safe clean instillation, I would do it again. I would imagine if you consider the price of diesel fuel against the shop's electric bill and the convience of flipping a switch a $30 a month electric bill isn't so bad.
    Last edited by tackit; 03-16-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I had the power company run a new 200 amp underground service with it's own meter to my shop which is about 150 ft away from the house. They installed a bigger transformer on the pole, did all the work up to the meter, I had to provide them a three inch tile for going under the driveway. It's a safe clean instillation, I would do it again. I would imagine if you consider the price of diesel fuel against the shop's electric bill and the convience of flipping a switch a $30 a month electric bill isn't so bad.
    How much did the install cost?
    Did you have to sign a contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Amc724 View Post
    How much did the install cost?
    Did you have to sign a contract?
    Amc it was done about 10 years ago... something tells me it was around $200 for the install because the shop was within 75' of the transformer pole. The contract thing I honestly don't remember.

My problem is my house sits about a quarter of a mile off the road were the service goes into the ground. We don't plan on staying so I just figured I would waist the money upgrading the electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemn260 View Post
    My problem is my house sits about a quarter of a mile off the road were the service goes into the ground. We don't plan on staying so I just figured I would waist the money upgrading the electric.
    How long do you plan on staying?

How much to run a circuit to the shed?

How often do you weld?

Running a generator uses up gas=$$
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

If a used machine is the route you plan on going, look for a bobcat 225 or 250 with less than 500 hours and make sure it is fully enclosed (means its newer), but before you buy, check with usIf you end up not using it a lot, And you get a good deal, you might could sell it for what you have in it after you move.

look for a good 250 bobcat. i have power to my shop but don't really use it for nuthing other than my radio and hot box my bobcat is my main welding machine so i just use it to run grinders saws and just about everything else in the shop when i'm in there . it keeps the power bill down and at the end of the day or job i know how much to charge for the job. most times i can run for two or 3 days on a tank of gas before i top it off.the plus side of the gas driven welder is down the road if you get into doing road jobs and such you will already have the biggest part of the investment and thats a gas driven welder not to mention a great power source for your home if a storm ever knocks out the power.

The bobcat 250 seems to be perfect for what I need it for. I do some repairs for a local cemetary so to be able to do the job out in the field insted of having to rely on the shops power is a plus. I do weld on some heavy equipment so I would like to have all the juice I can afford.

If it was humanly possible would be running a wire from house to shed. This genset will get old fast. Expensive to operate too.