Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like and stay with Miller products.... I would get a MM212 and be done with it. You never know what's coming through the door, having a bigger machine around is never a bad idea.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00456
    Last edited by tackit; 03-13-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I like and stay with Miller products.... I would get a MM212 and be done with it. You never know what's coming through the door, having a bigger machine around is never a bad idea.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00456
    I prefer to stay with Miller if I can. What makes the 212 worth $1,000 more than the 211 ?

The 211 and the 212 both go to 210Amps max

211 - 210amp @ 15% duty cycle
    212 - 210amps @ 30% duty cycle

With the 211 I can use 8" or 4" spools of wire available local at tractor supply, versus the 212 I have no clue if it can use a 8" spool or if I am stuck having to find 12" spools somewhere ???

211 Plus
    - Portable - 120V option -- could take somewhere with flux core to fix something.
    - lower cost so I could also buy the spoolgun for aluminum too.
    - same max amps as the 212 for lower cost
    - Miller has 15% off on 211 right now

211 Negative
    - shorter mig lead (but welder can be moved easy and put on a homemade cart)
    - only 15% duty cycle at 210 amps, will have to take more breaks

212 Plus
    - longer mig leads (15ft)
    - slightly longer duty cycle
    - fan on demand (quieter and less contaminate intake)
    - spoolgun option for 212 has a longer 20ft cable for more reach

212 Negative
    - heavy and not portable (could not roll outside without wheels getting stuck)
    - $1000 more and still will not weld thicker material than the 211

Also found this about the wire speeds, but since I'm not a Mig guy, not sure what benefit this is ??

212 Wire Feed
    Speed
    50–700 IPM
    (1.3–17.8
    m/min)

211 Wire Feed
    Speed
    60–540 IPM
    (1.5 –13.7
    m/min)

What is the benefit of 160 more inches per minute? Would this mainly be a benefit when working with aluminum?

Cool

If i wanted a welder for in the shop it would be a 212 where the duty cycle would be better. If i wanted a welder i could lug around it would be a 211. Thats why there are choices because some people don't just want one. I have the older MM 185 with spoolgun and i take it outside all the time with a longer cord but i don't haul my cylinder on the rack as i have 3 of them chained to the wall by the door and just pick which one i need, i have a 25' hose hooked to my welder. It does make the welder a lot easier to move around....Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 03-13-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Time for a New Miller

Just my 2 cents, but I'd say go as heavy as you can on your machine buy. It seems like you lose some of the speed advantages of Mig when you get down in the low duty cycles.

I've been welding some heavy projects at my shop with a cp302, and similar stuff at a friends with his 211, and it is definitely much less effort to
    get a consistently good result with the big machine (night and day). Flange and face thickness are one thing, but that transition area between the two can
    have a lot of meat in it, especially on standard beams, vs wide flange.

Going slow, stitching, preheating - will all help, but for me, at some point in there I'd rather be in a stick setup with power to spare, if thats an option, as it sometimes is,
    based on costs.

Quote Originally Posted by usjess View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but I'd say go as heavy as you can on your machine buy. It seems like you lose some of the speed advantages of Mig when you get down in the low duty cycles.

I've been welding some heavy projects at my shop with a cp302, and similar stuff at a friends with his 211, and it is definitely much less effort to
    get a consistently good result with the big machine (night and day). Flange and face thickness are one thing, but that transition area between the two can
    have a lot of meat in it, especially on standard beams, vs wide flange.

Going slow, stitching, preheating - will all help, but for me, at some point in there I'd rather be in a stick setup with power to spare, if thats an option, as it sometimes is,
    based on costs.
    I pretty much did like your saying. Went with all the machine I could. I will save for the materials next since I have other things taking up time before I do my big project.

I bought a new MM252 a few weeks ago and have tinkered with it the past 2 weekends. It is such a major improvement over my mm140 I sold. Was welding in 3" strap to the 8" c-purlin frame of my shop building to install a new 240V 60A dedicated receptical for the welder. Was using the existing hookup in the shop to run the welder.

I am really liking the results. Settings seemed a little off for the 1/8" strap when I used the chart settings of 17.4V 230IPM.
    So when I went to weld the 1/8" strap to the 14ga c-purlin I adjusted things down a little bit to 17.2V 210IPM. Was very pleased with the results of the flat welds and horizontal overhead welds it producted and have a nice heat signature line across the c-purlin indicating adequate penetration for securing the receptacle.

The more I use the welder the more I am enjoying it.

For welding outside, I visited home and picked up an Airco Easy Arc 250A AC/DC stick welder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yoidubb9ai7k9z2/O-UCm0J0AB

This was the welder I first learned to strike an arc with when I was 7. I noticed one board has a lead from a capacitor broke off. Could have broke loose over the years from being moved to and from places. I plan to solder it back in place and see how the welder runs.