Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default About The 180 TIG material thickness

The spec sheet says it can handle up to .1875" thick (3/16) .
    In your experience is this an absolute upper limit in material thickness or can you use it to get adequate penetration for thicker material (steel and alum) by going slower?

I think the trick here is multiple passes of proper rated penetration and correct overlap of beads.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Default About The 180 TIG material thickness

Almost all machines are under rated and if you know some tricks the ability of a machine is really high. Example I have Tig welded 2 in. thick aluminum with a dynasty 350.

I think the trick here is multiple passes of proper rated penetration and correct overlap of beads.
    Is that with the caveat of needing a sufficiently large bevel ground onto the edges? So the weld starts at the bottom of the V and as one gets to the wider parts the welds are welded to the welds to bridge the gap?

Almost all machines are under rated and if you know some tricks the ability of a machine is really high. Example I have Tig welded 2 in. thick aluminum with a dynasty 350.
    Tricks. Hmmm. 2" is a lot of aluminum. You had to pre-heat that substantially, I'm guessing. Was someone playing a rosebud torch (or two) on it even while you were welding it?

I am planning on a welder purchase and am pretty confident in my eye-hand-foot coordination and don't want the spark fest' of a MIG (I have a somewhat flammable environment) plus I do want to be able to weld exotics occasionally as well as thin stuff along with steel assemblies with material occasionally as thick as 3/8" (doubt seriously I'll ever see anything thicker) but usually 1/4" and thinner, so I think a TIG, in spite of the learning curve, will be the better choice. So I'm torn between the 165 and 180.

Unfortunately there is no opportunity for me to try out any equipment, I just have to pay my money and play the game. If I get the 165 it's no big deal to have only 230 as my voltage input. So then the question of whether that extra 30 amps output is all that meaningful is really the only one remaining.
    What I don't spend on the welder I can spend on a good helmet, gloves, and other accessories.

Would you trust your eyesight to an autodarkening helmet like the Jackson Trusight or the Save Phase black ice? God only gave me two eyes. I've seen what happens when one doesn't don't cover up fast enough. It wasn't pretty. Fear-of-god and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul McCai View Post
    Is that with the caveat of needing a sufficiently large bevel ground onto the edges? So the weld starts at the bottom of the V and as one gets to the wider parts the welds are welded to the welds to bridge the gap?

Tricks. Hmmm. 2" is a lot of aluminum. You had to pre-heat that substantially, I'm guessing. Was someone playing a rosebud torch (or two) on it even while you were welding it?

I am planning on a welder purchase and am pretty confident in my eye-hand-foot coordination and don't want the spark fest' of a MIG (I have a somewhat flammable environment) plus I do want to be able to weld exotics occasionally as well as thin stuff along with steel assemblies with material occasionally as thick as 3/8" (doubt seriously I'll ever see anything thicker) but usually 1/4" and thinner, so I think a TIG, in spite of the learning curve, will be the better choice. So I'm torn between the 165 and 180.

Unfortunately there is no opportunity for me to try out any equipment, I just have to pay my money and play the game. If I get the 165 it's no big deal to have only 230 as my voltage input. So then the question of whether that extra 30 amps output is all that meaningful is really the only one remaining.
    What I don't spend on the welder I can spend on a good helmet, gloves, and other accessories.

Would you trust your eyesight to an autodarkening helmet like the Jackson Trusight or the Save Phase black ice? God only gave me two eyes. I've seen what happens when one doesn't don't cover up fast enough. It wasn't pretty. Fear-of-god and all that.
    Where are you located? Maybe someone on here has a 180 that is close by, and will let you check it out.

NW corner of Hunterdon County NJ.
    I thought about taking a welding course at the local Voc' Tech, which would be the ideal way to go, but the county college wants $4-Gees for the two courses. I don't want a cert', I just need to do my own stuff.

turbo38t Guest

I have a 165 with foot pedal if you want to come try it out. I'm 20 minutes south of the parkway bridge...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul McCai View Post
    NW corner of Hunterdon County NJ.
    I thought about taking a welding course at the local Voc' Tech, which would be the ideal way to go, but the county college wants $4-Gees for the two courses. I don't want a cert', I just need to do my own stuff.

I live in Lincoln Park N.J. You should check out Hunterton cty Vo Tech to see if they have welding classes. They would be a lot cheaper if they do. I do know that morris cty and passaic cty offer adult education classes.

turbo38t Guest

I did union county votech....good stuff....won't teach you the trade but will show you the basics and millerwelds.com can help u figure out the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMK WELDING View Post
    I live in Lincoln Park N.J. You should check out Hunterton cty Vo Tech to see if they have welding classes. They would be a lot cheaper if they do. I do know that morris cty and passaic cty offer adult education classes.

Quote Originally Posted by JMK WELDING View Post
    Morris hasn't got anyone doing any welding at the moment.
    Welding is not the most common offering. Most schools seem not to offer courses ala cart but rather want a full course of study. I was done with formal education a while ago: went all the way and got the full monty.