Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default best, most comfortable gloves?

What are the most comfortable but yet durable gloves for welding. Mostly stick but will be doing a little mig also. I was looking at the miller mig/stick gloves but didnt know if they held up well. What kind do yall use?

Tillman stick, Miller mig and Tillman tig. I don't use stick/mig gloves. Miller also makes good tig gloves, more $$$$

So the Tillman gloves are the best for stick? Are they also good for mig?

turbo38t Guest

New Tillman tig gloves suck.....made in china and threads burn up very quickly.

I'm thinking of just trying out the miller ones. I like the look of them and they look fairly durable, I just hope that they're comfortable as well.

I prefer using the gloves issued free at work. Good feel, no seam on the outside of the index finger to burn through...and free. When I was looking through the online catalogs, similar gloves were in the $2-$4 range. Cheaper than Tillman or Miller...even if I had to buy 'em. May not be as great for TIG as a pair of Tillman gloves, but for MIG they are great.

Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

I have a pair of miller arc whatever gloves. They are for stick/mig and are yellow/black in color. Eh... I'd rather just grab a pair of heavy elk skin fencing gloves and use those. The black part on the back of my hand shrinks like crazy if you get it close to heat. I'm usually in some sort of out of position place when I'm trying to weld.

I've used 'em to tig too. They work okay as long as I don't have to feed the filler too much. Hard to feel anything. I don't know if they shield my skin from the uv of the arc, but my mechanix gloves are nice for tig. Enough for me at least. They aren't really leather at all but I don't do much tig so they work fine. I'm thinking about picking up a set of tillman tig gloves and trying them out. I've tried 'em on at the lws and I like them.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

WyoRoy- I'm looking for the gloves that are a little longer than those. We have some in my class like that and I've tried them but they're just too short for me. I guess I've just gotten used to the long ones.

Elvis-have the miller gloves held up though? I don't really tig any in my class, 90% of the time it's just stick but occasionally mig. We aren't really welding anything serious, just flat practice plates and some t-joints for practice also. I just wanted a glove that would last awhile and be pretty comfortable too. I was hoping that since we aren't welding anything serious or for that long (about 2 hours a day of welding) that they would last for most of the class.

Hunter-

When I got them I wasn't paying attention and fried the crap out of them. Now I have to pay close attention. I was able to return the first ones because there was a big hole in the lining from poor QC during manufacturing. I don't plan on buying them again. I'm going to end up with a tillman for my next glove I think. The miller gloves are nice in the winter with the insulation. I would leave them on an oil heater and they would be warm when I was working in 10* weather. I almost wanted to keep them on!
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I guess the main consensus is to go with Tillman, I live in the south so keeping my hands warm isn't too big of a deal, especially when summer rolls around since I sweat a lot as it is. Any specific type of Tillman gloves that you would recommend?