Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Portable for Portable

A situation as I see it would be to have the trailer towed as close as possible but then have to carry everything from it. So I'm thinking about a wagon type cart for the welder, gas bottles, hood and grinders etc.

Then use this type of cart to roll everything back into a more secure building instead of leaving everything in the trailer at the end of the day.

So I am looking at making one of these work.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-lb-pro-series

I doubt I could buy wheels and metal that cheep and just add whatever I need to make it hold enough supplies.

The main power I haven't got yet, would stay in the trailer, maybe unless it ends up with wheels also.

Anybody do this type of thing? Whats your thoughts on it?

I understand your idea but not the reason. Are you worried about someone stealing it at night or at a job site? You want to unload everything every night or unload it once you get to the job?

I think unloading everything will get old real quick especially at the end of the day when your tired. Then having to load it up all again in the morning. Do you live in a high crime area? Doing this would defeat the purpose of having something you can hook up to & go.

I run a trailer & have never had a job I could not get close enough. This may not apply to you. If you don't think you can get into jobs with a trailer then I would look into a truck to get into tighter areas etc.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Good questions.
    I have a regular job, welding is part time but I am trying to make it better by being mobile and hope get some more part time work. Then if my regular job folds I'll have a at least started in a direction to do something.

If my jobs holds up, I hope to have something to do after retirement and already have a the word out plus equipment.

So, thats the reason for a trailer, I can't afford a truck rig with the added cost that goes with it.

It wouldn't be like I have to unload it everyday, just when I am not using it for periods of time / have no welding jobs. I don't like the thought of having that much equipment already on wheels ready to steal while I'm at work.

The wagon type cart just seems like a reasonable way to move stuff around. A hand truck type will have a lesser footprint but not contain as much room and can be tipped over.

As far as high crime area, no but I was broken into 13 years ago, only time in 30 years here and it made me pretty paranoid.

I leave a scanner on 24/7 and provide an on-line feed. There is no doubt theft is the number one call in the county or a close second to domestic issues.

I wish I could sit around a fire one night and talk to you guys that do this for a living.

Onto your original question about the cart. It looks like the cart would work for transporting stuff. I would skip the idea of putting bottles on it except maybe a small 75/25 for mig. It's much easier to have your bottles mounted securely in the trailer & use a long enough hose. For other items then you can just pile them in the wagon & remove them easy enough. I honestly don't think you need it at a job site though but I don't know what kind of areas you'll be working in.

For example, show up to weld something. You'll need a + & - lead, a stinger or feeder, ext. cord, maybe oxy/acet, gas for mig maybe. These are all tied to your power source/trailer anyway so the wagon won't help much. Helmet, gloves, grinder, rods, wire brush, chipping hammer. These can be carried in one trip or a bucket.

I would set up your trailer & see how it goes. You can change things on the fly if certain things become time wasters/pain in the a.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I have one similar from harbor freight . Check it out in person first if possible. The one i have was cheap when I bought it, 50.00. Problem is the narrow span on the wheels in width. It isn't real stable but never had it tip over. there are some nice carts for landscaping use that are nicer. Problem is that nicer and stable means more money.

My business entails lots of carts for the gear and I would build a custom cart for your needs.

Are you going to be working out of an enclosed trailer?

They are nice because you can strap your cart to the Wall

If you use an open trailer I think I would want an enclosed cart, knack box on wheels, or like a roadie case so that the gear is covered while driving.

I don't know the size of job boxes but whatever you decide it's gotta fit through a door
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 03-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

MMW, I have an 80 size mix I was planning to take around and another 80 with argon for tig. I never thought of extending the gas line and leaving the bottles in the trailer. Thats something to really consider, thanks.

I've been thinking on trailer setup. Looking at different hangers/ tie downs and how to mount them. Still pondering on power, A new Bobcat will be the choice if a nice used engine drive doesn't surface.

BD1, I looked at the HF cart today, was 72 dollars. The one in the link is in the box at the store and I can't tell much about it.

Broc, you got a lot of things going on, photography too? I started laying out a cart today, twice honey came by and said just buy one. Even then it would need some work. Makes me think about selling my 100-400L.

As of now, I still like the wagon cart idea. I'm in no hurry but that's what I said about an enclosed trailer and here it sits.

Photo equipment rental business is the main gig- all this welding stuff is a hobby.

It certainly has paid for itself with stuff around the shop though
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I have one similar from harbor freight . Check it out in person first if possible. The one i have was cheap when I bought it, 50.00. Problem is the narrow span on the wheels in width. It isn't real stable but never had it tip over. there are some nice carts for landscaping use that are nicer. Problem is that nicer and stable means more money.
    Last week HF had the car on sale for $29.99, now it is $49.99. The only thing I did was buy a set of metal BB wheels. It is not a heavy duty cart, but it works. I bought it to mount my tig and plasma. I like the design enough that I may make a heavier duty version of it from scratch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...cessories.html

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Photo equipment rental business is the main gig- all this welding stuff is a hobby.

It certainly has paid for itself with stuff around the shop though
    That sounds like a good business to be in. I couldn't put a camera down for a year but I have to get this welding thing set up so my time is limited for photos. Love it tho.

Today I realized that a cart is a must have for me. I have gravel around here and a guy brought by a utility trailer with the expanded metal breaking loose.

Anyway I had to hand carry everything to the front of the house and that thing has some weight to it. 1 trip for the 211, 1 for the gas and another for the accessories. Took as long as the job and was twice as hard. PITA

Makes me want to call in sick and work on a cart today.