Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 2507 stainless question

What is the best technique for pulse mig welding this metal on 5/16" thick material. Thanks

I got a job welding this at my work I'm welding on a miller 350p with er2594 .035 wire

Default pluse arc

i don't care a lot for pluse arc. i been in the industry a long time. turn up your volts and speed and with the thickness in stainless steel your useing,go for it.

Default Welding 2507 Super Duplex

Contact the material supplier, perhaps they have the information you need, other then that do a search for 2507 data sheet. For example Outokumpu has a good one.

Control your pre-heat and interpass temperatures. Duplex stainless steels need an interpass temp between 250F and 300F. The specific temperature depends on the grade of stainless and the filler metal used. Too high an interpass temp can degrade the corrosion resistance.

If you're welding pipe you need good back purge procedures. Heat tint on the inside of teh pipe root from oxidation can also compromise the corrosion resistance.

Check with Outokompu, or your metal supplier for recommendations on welding this specific alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by imtgw1a View Post
    What is the best technique for pulse mig welding this metal on 5/16" thick material. Thanks
    Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com
    Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

This metal doesn't weld good at all. After welding on it now for a couple days starting to get the hang of it. Really gotta control your work angle and travel speed for it to lay in the joint the way the company wants it to. the parts are for a power plant and the company is **** as **** on how it's to be done , but Inspector came in and said they are good to go.

Default stainless

In England for MIG welding stainless we use gas with a helium content in it

Not sure what pulse welder power source your using.........but I weld 2205 duplex all the time at work building pressure vessels. I use a pipeworx 400 with either Tri-A or Tri-H gas......you have to set your arc control a lil high to get your puddle to flow out properly. Or you can use 98-2 O2 spray arc gas in a pinch but it looks like ****. Duplex is tricky to pulse......because the puddle isnt very defined......its kinda a mix of spray arc and globular transfer rolled into one. But once you figure it out.......it will pass RT everytime. Good luck!

I'm using he25 gas. I turned up the arc control up and it is laying in there a little better.