Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 1980 miller roughneck 2e

Hello folks nice to meet yall.
    10 years welding experience (farm, ranch, light repair work) im nothing special but can lay a bead
    Currently running a miller bobcat 250 and just recently aquired a miller roughneck 2e circa 1980. I bet you all can guess which ones giving me trouble
    So the roughneck is the issue. Pulled it out of a barn and the genset looks to be in goodish condition aside from lack of care. Looks to be all original except the air filter is missing (big suprise there). Tore the head off and lapped the valves, reset valve clearence, and rebuilt the carb. The 34 year old runs as good if not better than some of the 10 and 5 year old motors I use to power other equipment. So once I got the genset blown out and the slip rings and brushes cleaned up I gave it a try. Power output is around 115v @62hz on the power outlet, but the welder setting is lacking at around 64v (in all ranges) @120hz (seems very high for a single phase machine) but when i try to weld with it if i can get an arc started the motor boggs down and dies off before i can get the pool really going. main capacitor checks out good and the static board shows no signs of burns or damage (but there is a replaced diode in d5). I know the s1 (power/weld switch) has to be replaced for sure as I broke a terminal off trying to clean everything up after the failed first test. Any ideas on what else shoild be checked out? I emailed miller support asking about repair manuals and other literature but they were unsuccessful in finding anything substantial other than the owners manual which I all ready had. Sorry for the long first post and thanks for any help!!

Your 120hz is a result of the WELD mode speed being 3600rpm whereas the POWER speed is a much quieter 1800rpm for 60hz auxiliary power output. However, actual no-load speeds are 3600rpm (-0/+75rpm) in WELD mode and 1950rpm (65hz)no-load in POWER mode. Auxiliary power OCV at no-load speed should be between 128-132VAC.

Your arc starting issue can partially be attributed to the AC only weld output of the Roughneck so make sure you're not using "standard" 7018 rod. The low OCV would contribute as well.

One thing I typically do on a major tune-up on these smaller engine drives is to replace the governor speed spring. You can adjust them to the proper speed(s) but they cannot maintain proper governor droop (drop in speed under load) due to them having lost some of their spring rate. I experienced this very thing on a Roughneck 2E I acquired (and later sold) a few years ago.

I would start by changing the governor spring and taking another look at the field voltage filter capacitors (C3 and C4) or possibly even replace them as well for your weld output OCV.

You also need to look at the governor spring hole location in the governor lever as it affects the responsiveness of the governor.

PM me an email address.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Default thankyou much

Thats the sound of true experience gents, I read this post then thought surely I didnt grab a 7018 to test with (6011 is what I had now convinced myself was used), walked out to the shop where the roughneck is resting awaiting further repair/rejuvenation and there it sat a partialy burnt 7018 rod next to my short shop work line.... you do seem to know exactly what your talking about, bravo sir bravo!!!

Unhappy

Finaly got the s1 switch in and replaced. Carb adjustments made and now turning a nice cool 1950rpm +/- with 61/64hz at outlet (loaded/unloaded). Adjustments for weld speed will have to wait for it to cool down a bit this evening. Seems using a spirometer is a hard thing to do on the oh 140s im getting a reading about 100 rpm different than hz readings so I assume its the dynabalance ?

Weld speed holding nicely now at 3600 rpm +/- and 117hz, rechecked gen function and all is well, setup for another weld test and just after I strike an arc the carb floods out and chokes the engine down. Im sure my initial problem lied in the governor being misadjusted but definitely have a carb issue that was/is contributing to my insanity...

Seems as though I found the problem, I took the carb back off and found the fuel bowl wasnt sealing against the main jet housing. Reshaped the bowl and put a small copper washer in place for good measure. Machine now starts, runs, and welds. Now to tune up the miller side as im having to longarc to start but once it starts a pool it welds ok and stacking is a little bellow average. But ive got life!!!! More terminal cleaning in my very immediate future

Finally up and running the way everything should. Thank you very very much for yoir assistance and guidance through this project of mine. Heres a picture of the first weld ive layed with this machine in proper working order. Youll notice I didnt bother cleaning or prepping the surface at all as I was only testing the machine but looks like its working great to me
    Guess ill get the pic up tomorrow when I can figure this out
    Last edited by rich45020; 06-26-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Lets try this again
    Attached Images Attached Images