Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tubing Cutters

Default Tubing Cutters

Whats a good tubing cutter for stainless boat railings? I want to buy some railing and practice on it just in case I get the chance to do some railing. I don't live on the coast but we do have a few lakes and a good many boats in the area.

I don't like learning on a persons job which is often the case with so many different things people bring.

The tubing cutters I am finding are the same as you would use to cut copper pipe but that type of SS I am talking about is pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    Whats a good tubing cutter for stainless boat railings? I want to buy some railing and practice on it just in case I get the chance to do some railing. I don't live on the coast but we do have a few lakes and a good many boats in the area.

I don't like learning on a persons job which is often the case with so many different things people bring.

The tubing cutters I am finding are the same as you would use to cut copper pipe but that type of SS I am talking about is pretty tough.
    McMaster.com has metal tube cutters rated for SS. P.N. 2708A2 goes 3/8 to 2 5/8" diameter and is listed at $65.17.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Thanks, that looks good. Going to try the West Marine Store this weekend and see if I can pick up some pricey practice tube.

It grips me to pay for something like that to make scrap out of but I see no other way to learn it and will also see what it takes to finish it.

Guess you can't put a price on the knowledge you keep.

Holly Crap, scrap that west marine idea, if the store carried the 20 foot length like the website it is 470 bucks.
    Last edited by Hardrock40; 03-06-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Don't know what size you need but might want to try here

http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

they'll ship up to 8' lengths UPS
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I've made hundreds of cuts on SS over the years at work. We always used Swagelok cutters and if you can find one it will last forever.
    I would recommend Rigid cutters for larger tubing.
    CG
    Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
    Miller Diversion 165
    1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
    Smithy Lathe/Mill

westmarine is very expensive. i wouldn't buy anything from them unless you have to. That tubing is just 304 1/16" thick i believe. any metal supply house would have it.

I used a small Imperial Eastman tubing cutter with a steel wheel installed to cut a lot of 1/2" SS tubing for a gas compressor engine mod project. The cutter shovelon showed looks to be a larger Imperial.

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking at source of tubing before anything else now.
    I knew it was not cheep but never knew it had gold in it. May even invest in it, LOL

But I think now any SS tubing would be practice and worry about the finish later so buying that precious metal might have to wait.

I have a couple sets of tubing cutters I use for copper, at some of the suggested sites there are plenty of replacement wheels, might try one of those.

Yesterday a friend who runs the local prop shop said he doesn't see much of a need for railing repair.
    The boat dealer's he does work for usually ask him to do any other welding they need and he has never been asked to repair SS railing.

He works for a bunch of dealerships and been at it for 25 years. So maybe its not a project that should be at the top of my idea list.

Speaking of which, I have some other idea's, guess thats another post.