Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Problems with "new" syncrowave 200

Hello this is my first post after some lurking and searching to find some solution to the problem I'm having. I apologize for the long post ahead of time. I bought a syncrowave 200 off Craigslist advertised as new. I already know how dumb I am for buying a welder from someone off CL without seeing it run. It did look like it had never been used not that that's a good excuse. After getting it home and setting everything up, I could no get it to run well. I downloaded the manual and read through it carefully to make sure I set up everything properly. I did check the run time and it showed "0 min". This made me feel somewhat better.

Anyway, here is the problem: I can not get a good steady arc or puddle. There is a lot of popping and spattering and burning my tungsten. It is acting kind of like the gas is off. Or the switch is wrong position.

Set to DCEN 50 amps
    gas set everywhere from 10-30 cfh
    I have checked for leaks with "snoop". I even pulled the back panel to check the valve. It looked perfect in there. I also pulled the side cover to make sure the switch was making solid contact.
    Good solid ground.
    Brand new cup and tungsten.
    It is set up on a designated 60 amp breaker.
    Argon is not contaminated. I even took the machine to the shop at work today to plug it in there and use the bottle in the shop.
    No luck!!! I am at a loss and the only welding repair shop in town has a month wait.

Here is a video of it running

Help please!! I'm stumped.
    Last edited by S.Krelborn; 03-05-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Default Can you detect argon flow?

Can you feel and/or hear the argon flowing? Just because everything looks good does not mean that is is working.

Looking at the video, I would suspect no gas flow.

We will see what the real experts say. ;-)

Richard

I can hear it and feel it flowing. Shut off meter works fine .

Quote Originally Posted by raferguson View Post
    Can you feel and/or hear the argon flowing? Just because everything looks good does not mean that is is working.

Looking at the video, I would suspect no gas flow.

We will see what the real experts say. ;-)

Richard
    I agree with this.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

The stuttering / popping is because you're holding the tungsten too far from the work, and the HF keeps trying to restart the arc. How far from the work are you holding the tungsten in your video, an inch or more? Arc length should be about the diameter of the tungsten, i.e., 3/32" for a 3/32" diameter tungsten.

The brown stain/film you get on the metal suggests to me either no gas, not enough gas or maybe the wrong kind of gas?

Just for grins, try holding the torch out in space and tapping the pedal a couple of times to purge any air out of your argon hoses, then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    The stuttering / popping is because you're holding the tungsten too far from the work, and the HF keeps trying to restart the arc. How far from the work are you holding the tungsten in your video, an inch or more? Arc length should be about the diameter of the tungsten, i.e., 3/32" for a 3/32" diameter tungsten.

The brown stain/film you get on the metal suggests to me either no gas, not enough gas or maybe the wrong kind of gas?

Just for grins, try holding the torch out in space and tapping the pedal a couple of times to purge any air out of your argon hoses, then try again.
    This welder is new to me, but I'm not new to welding. Tungsten distance is not the problem I'm having. I have tried purging the lines with my gas, my shops gas, then my gas at home again. Does the same thing. Thanks anyhow.

There are 3 setings for arc start, low/med/high. you've got it on high, turn it to low or med.

My Syncro 200 came with all three weld settings at 'Med' syncrostart FYI. You check it by pressing and holding the "Amp" button while turning the machine on in your desired output setting (the big handle).

In addition to the above suggestions you might also try tightening the collet body and tungsten cap.

It's hard to tell in the video, but are you touching the metal with the tungsten at startup? It does appear you aren't holding it over the puddle long enough for post-flow coverage of 1 second/10amps FWIW.

It's a good machine, hope you figure it out.