Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Whats with power switches on the rear?

I don't like it either on my 375 x on my dynasty 350 but they put the switch on the coolmate 3 on front what gives

Default Pwer Swithes in the rear

Could this be to slow you down, giving the equipment additional time to cool?

I really notice it on the plasma. I have a long lead and have the unit up out of the way. Its not a deal breaker and I understand it to some extent, switch close to the incoming lead is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrockshot View Post
    Could this be to slow you down, giving the equipment additional time to cool?
    Maybe or keep people from constantly switching on and off their machine. Put some hours on that thing and think you need a new one.

I'm glad the coolant pump switch is on the front (Dynasty), I'll switch off the noise when the cup cools but a lot of time I don't try and reach the welder switch until I am done.

Mine is tough to get to right now but thinking on putting it back on its hand truck type cart, but its a PITA to get out of its anti theft area.

It's not hard to move... Click these & read the captions:

Yesterday, I pulled that #+$*^% nylock nut from the spool stud & put a wingnut on backward.

Last edited by Steve83; 03-06-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Looks easy to move on the 211...will probably do it post warranty. Plasma cutter will have to look at. Not a lot of space inside from what I recall.

Gentlemen,

I understand that the power switch being located on the rear of a unit can in some cases be inconvenient. There are however a number of reasons why some units have the power switches located on the rear panel near the input cord entry.

In some cases the reason could be a simple lack of space on the front panel to properly locate a power switch. Another possibility is that routing the leads through the unit could cause problems with weld performance because of noise on the lines in particular on inverter based units. In other cases the size of the machine itself may not allow for proper clearances for the primary leads to be routed through the length of the unit and still pass a 3rd party certification such as NRTL/C, CSA or UL. These types of certifications are very important for this equipment, without them we would not be allowed to sell in some markets.

As for relocating the switch on the Millermatic 211 to the front panel I would not recommend it as it could be a potential safety issue and would also jeopardize your machine warranty.
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

The rear panel switch on the Hypertherm units is for compliance with CSA and CE safety standards. The switch has to be closw to the power cord entrance so long lengths of input AC power are not exposed inside the unit.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Gotta love getting answers straight from the horses mouth! Just love the level of customer support miller provides!!!

If owners are really wanting an easier/ergonomic way to turn their machines on/off they could always install a magnetic contacter to turn the outlet circuit on and off and use a low voltage pendant to control it.
    Meltedmetal