Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeking advice

Default seeking advice

hello
    I am new to this sight , and tig welding / welders. am in the market to purchase one in the near future new, or used. and would appreciate any advice you could give.

have only single phase power, looking to weld chrome moly tube (.035 - .188),also would like to be able to weld aluminum 3/16 minimum.

have heard a lot about the new inverter style but wouldnt mind something used. considering our budget
    thanks in advance!
    Doug

Default seeking advice

well i bought a new lincoln precision tig and i love it it has several settings ac,dc+,dc- high freg foot pedal, you can weld aluminum stick weld off it 230 amps. $2000

Default Tig

Do you plan to weld as a hobby. Or a profession?

woild like to do profesional work as an advanced hobbyist?

Quote Originally Posted by doug7538 View Post
    woild like to do profesional work as an advanced hobbyist?
    Dynasty200dx.

Pretty easy to cart around too. Fusiunking makes tons of money with his. I take mine portable .
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

thanks for the replys so far, much appreciated!
    could any one tell me how the syncrowave 200 compareto the dynasty200, or the differences,see some pretty good deals on the syncrowave w water cooler is water cooled torch important, would rather buy now than wish I had it afterwards .also looks like there are differeent size torches think I would like small torch, would be going into tight spots does water cooled make diff. there? also what do you guys preffer foot or finger control?
    also looked at the lincoln specs. looks to be a nice setup,how does this compare to the millers suggested?
    another question - wich machine is easier to use or learn with for a new guy to tig welding, plan on building (welding) chrome moly tube framework from 3/8 - 1 inch diamater
    thanks again

Default Tig

It doesnt matter really what machine. Just practice as much as you can. Metals like aluminum, chrome stainless steel is all metals that you have to really practice with. Just go slow and practice like i said.

The sync is going to be heavy and power hungry with a few less options. Other than that both are great machines. Make sure you have a breaker large enough to power the sync.

Foot control is very easy to use.

As far as learning, the Diversion 180 is the easiest on the planet to learn on. It will do alum and steel in the thickness ranges you describe. It is also 115/230volt for convenience. It does have it's limitations, but when you hit them you are ready to trade up to to something more sophisticated like a DynastyDX. Both are inverter by the way. I have set up many for customers and friends, and they took to it immediately.

It is hard to describe what an quality inverter can do in the hands of a master. My little 200 has magic powers.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Default Syncrowave

If you want a good basic TIG, without spending a lot of money, it is hard to beat a used Miller Syncrowave 180 or 200. I have owned both, both are good. Both have High Frequency, AC and DC, so you can weld any metal, including aluminum. Both include stick and TIG. The original version of the Syncrowave 180 is arguably better for beginners, as it has minimal controls, three switches and one knob, simple to use. The later version of the 180 (180SD) added an AC balance knob and digital displays. The 200 has lots of bells and whistles, including pulse, which I like for thin copper. The 180 is a little smaller, but both are relatively big and heavy, around 200 pounds. Figure on at least a 50 amp 220V circuit for either welder, which is what I use. Some recommend a 60 amp 220V breaker.

I bought the 200 for $1300, too good a deal to pass up, and then sold my Synchrowave 180 for $1150. The 180 price that I got was probably higher than average, and the 200 price that I paid was lower than average, so I did very well, paid only $150 to upgrade.

Anyway, for somewhere between $1000 and $1500, you can buy a used Syncrowave 180 or 200, and have a welder that will probably serve all your needs for decades. If you buy used, and you decide you need a bigger or fancier welder down the road, you can get almost all your money back when you sell it. You will take a big depreciation hit if you buy a new welder and sell it later. With these Syncrowaves you can TIG weld any thin metal up to about 3/16 inch, and you can stick weld any steel 1/8 inch or thicker. I used the 180 as a stick welder for months before I got around to buying an argon bottle. Some report that the 180 had a higher than average repair rate, but my original version 180 gave me no trouble.

I am not a big fan of the Miller Diversion because it lacks stick. Stick is what you need to weld thick steel. The Dynasty is a great welder, but way too much money unless you have to have easy portability, or need 110V. (Note that a 20 amp 120Volt outlet will only run a welder at very reduced power, so 110V operation is not that great an advantage). The Miller EconoTIG looks good on paper, but a Miller factory guy said that it was not that great, that the Syncrowave 180 was a much better machine. Lincoln makes the Square Wave 175, and Precision TIG 225, similar to the Syncrowaves, look for a used Lincoln as a possible alternative. Many if not most inverter welders are DC only, so you canít TIG aluminum. (Examples: Multimatic 200, XMT series, Maxstar series, the new Thermal Arc multi-process welders, Lincoln V350 and C300, etc.)

Note that many inverter welders, such as the Dynasty or Invertec series, do not come standard with a TIG torch, regulator, and foot pedal, so they are even more expensive than they look at first glance. The Syncrowaves come with everything you need except a gas bottle. The welder manufacturers are pushing their inverter machines, but it is hard to justify the much higher cost, especially when you can find a used Syncrowave for not much more than $1000. They have sold a lot of Syncrowaves, so you should be able to find a used one if you look.

Just for comparison, a new Syncrowave 200 retails for $2900, a new Dynasty 200DX with torch, regulator, foot pedal, etc., retails for $4680. On the used market, the Dynasty 200 welders are hard to find, and priced around $3000. The Syncrowaves are easier to find used, and priced right.

The Syncrowave 250 is an industry classic, a great machine, but big and heavy, and more expensive. It should probably have a 100 amp 220V circuit, especially if you want to get full power out of it. The 250 is just more welder than most folks need, unless you need to TIG 1/4 inch thick aluminum.

Richard