Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2" 6G Pipe

Question 2" 6G Pipe

I've been welding schedule80 pipe in preparation for a 2" XXS pipe test. Regardless of how many roots I run I continue to have a problem with tying-in to my tacks. Each tie-in has what resembles a 'fish-eye' or a dimple that is pretty obvious when reviewing the finished root. I have been able to tie-in a few times with no problems with the fish-eye but even then I am unsure as to how I achieved that. Does anyone have advice for tying into a tack with the root looking seamless?

If you're not already grinding your tacks, you should be grinding the starts and stops to close to a knife edge so that when you run your stringer bead it will burn through those areas, leaving the tack "invisible".
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Myself personally I never grind the tacks , just hang about long enough to burn in to the tack properly , as you run into the tack ease off on the wire and let the arc heat up the tack enough before adding wire .
    what gap are you using? I keep a tight gap , typically 2.4mm but tighter still on some butts . If you are using a bigger gap then your amps will obviously be lower so it might help to grind/ feather the tacks.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137