Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Bobcat Restoration

well I started tearing down my Miller bobcat welder..for a restoration project today. Got all the cowling off and covers.will pressure wash it tomorrow and then be ready to sand a paint...got all the new decals and grafix in for it , so it should look like a new done... dont know weather to wash the electrical parts , there are no circuit boards in it to ruin but im Leary of that , may just have to wipe that part down with a damp rag, the motor im not worried about. will post before and after pics later. anyone have any suggestions......Its a BoBcat 225G Plus with an Onan, i dont see any circuit boards in it .....will it hurt the transformers and switches if i did a quick wash and then blow dry with air. any input would greatly be appreciated Thanks

If you use a low pressure washer, like one of the cheaper electric motor driven washers with 1600 psi or less, it will be OK to wash the electrical parts. Just don't get heavy handed with it.
    To dry it out use compressed air to blow out the puddles, then several box fans
    blowing through it for several days should dry it out completely if you do it outside on warm sunny days. I have washed a few this way with no problems.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

thanks Charlie , I did wash it yesterday but I opted to just wipe the hooded half down with a wet rag and blow it out with the air hose,it was just dust under there anyway , I got it prety clean, the motor half looks great , Im in the sanding and priming stage now, Its gona look almost new when I get thru with it , with all the new paint and decals, it gona be a great welder at 1/4 the price of a new one, at least I can make enuff with this one that I should be able to buy a new one some day. at least this one doesnt have all the circuit boards in it , I have herd horror stories of those, But then you dont know how these people take care of their stuff either, im one of those that babies stuff and keeps my stuff out of the weather too.

be carefull on the washing part if possible just clean it by hand washing it with hose and soap will wash out any lube that is on the bearings and other parts and they will fail after a short time.so unless your planning on re lubing the generator bearings and all other bearings i would stay clear of soap and water hose .i use 409 and a few shop rags to keep my stuff clean and also a old tooth brush .might take a bit longer but no soap gets to the places it shouldn't get to.

Default Before and after pic of Restore

before and after pictures of Restoration
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KMRRA View Post
    before and after pictures of Restoration
    The two before pix look better than the one after pic. Shoulda left it looking like the before pix, now it just looks like an old rusty Bob Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy2069 View Post
    be carefull on the washing part if possible just clean it by hand washing it with hose and soap will wash out any lube that is on the bearings and other parts and they will fail after a short time.so unless your planning on re lubing the generator bearings and all other bearings i would stay clear of soap and water hose .i use 409 and a few shop rags to keep my stuff clean and also a old tooth brush .might take a bit longer but no soap gets to the places it shouldn't get to.

I did do that , I chickened out on power washing out under the hood , I just blew it out with air and hand washed it ....I didnt want to take any chances with that end ....got it all back to gether today , and it fired right off. I even didnt have any spare parts left and thats good for me LOL

I have looked at this the last 5 times I have logged into this site. It looks brand new... I have taken a few covers off, repainted em with spray paint and cleaned it up but never anything like this. What did the sticker kit for this cost? And did you get it straight through miller or?

I found the Stickers on the sides and the Onan stickers on Ebay, all the others I had printed thru a sign shop, all total it was around 80 bux for the new stickers. I finally got it mounted on my trailer a couple weeks ago. I have always wanted a gas welder but I didnt want an eye sore on there LOL, Now I have to buy a cover for it , Sorry it took so long to respond , I havent been online much