Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Bobcat restoration

well I started tearing down my Miller bobcat welder..for a restoration project today. Got all the cowling off and covers.will pressure wash it tomorrow and then be ready to sand a paint...got all the new decals and grafix in for it , so it should look like a new done... dont know weather to wash the electrical parts , there are no circuit boards in it to ruin but im Leary of that , may just have to wipe that part down with a damp rag, the motor im not worried about. will post before and after pics later. anyone have any suggestions......Its a BoBcat 225G Plus with an Onan, i dont see any circuit boards in it .....will it hurt the transformers and switches if i did a quick wash and then blow dry with air. any input would greatly be appreciated Thanks
    Last edited by KMRRA; 03-04-2013 at 08:07 PM.

You can get electrical parts cleaner from just about any hardware store in aerosol can. Get a couple cans and spray the really dirty parts then wipe clean, for the rest I would just use air. I have always used a good silicone spray after its clean. It helps next time you wana clean it, stuff doesn't stick.

I agree, just use compressed air and electrical parts cleaner. Spraying water inside a welder is not a good idea.

Thanks guys , I did get it power washed today but I didn't wash under the hood I was scared to do that so I just wiped it down and used air and blowed out the generator and all the controls, I will get me some of the contact cleaner and clean the rheostats and contact switches.....it was perty dusty and ckaked up under there probably hasn't been cleaned since it was new, I think it a 96 model, I haven't had the chance to look up the serial number yet , but I have it cleaned up like a new one now. got all the oil from them changing the oil and just letting it drain down in to the subframe, would have been simpler just to attach a short hose on to the oil drain thingie, but some people just don't care.....So today I spent about 4 hours cleaning and power washing , removing all the old decals and removing the sticker residue. got the Onan as clean as I could, just short of using muratic acid on it but I didnt do that , shure would have made the Aluminum look clean......So will the silicone spray keep the contaces clean on the selector switches ....I know back way back when I use to service electronic equipitment I use to use some kind of grease to lub the contacts, hut that had beed 20 plus years since in the service .... ibusines.......Tamarrow I will start sanding and primeing,,,,,O and anothe thing I was wanting to ask should stay with just `regular morter oil or should switch to synthitic oui and if so what would recomendfor all weather temprature , I want to do what best for the machine......sorry for being long winded but this being my first Gas welder I just want to start out on the right foof.......thanks in advanced for any info that might be replied......oh also If I di use Sybthitic oil would I need to use sone bariams cleaner to wash out the cank case of it or is that no that no big deal,
    Thank foe any help... When I get ths project finished I will post some pictures

dang I didnt realize that this walmart laptop cant spell worth a **** LOL