Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Wire Feeders Using Hard Wire

Hi, In the Miller Catalog It states the 8 and 12 Vs feeders as designed for flux core wire For hard wire they are doun to Capable of this process Are they not as good as an ordinary mig on hard wire ? Anyone using them for this? Does this apply to all wire feeders ? Thanks for any input or experience

I Only run hard wire through my LN 25 , with C20 gas.
    I've never had any problems.
    I know it's not a Miller wire feeder, but I don't see where it should be any different.

......Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

I have heard the vs feeders are not the best when it comes to smaller wires/lower voltage. This does not apply to the rc feeders.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default vs feeder

I run the 12 vs from Miller I have never had a problem. With any wire type or size feeding through it. Also only one cable to power it. The RC model would be nice at times.but then you have one more cord to trip on. That's why I opted for the VS. And if this one ever dies I'll buy the same one again
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

Been running hard wire through my 12 for 3 years now. Never even a hiccup.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

This is more about physics and not about Miller vs. Lincoln or any other company.

Flux core is typically a globular or spray transfer and so the wire never touches the weld puddle. So this welding can be done with a voltage-sensing wire feeder on either a CC (contant current) or CV (constant voltage) welding power source.

Solid wire, depending on the shield gas type, can be a short circuit or spray transfer. You can use the VS (volt sensing) type of feeder in either of these transfer types is the welding power source is CV. If the welding power source is CC, then it must be a spray transfer to work effectively. If you use a CC power source and try to short circuit the wire, as the wire touches the plate/puddle it is a dead short and the CC power source effectively has no voltage difference anymore at the output studs. This loss of voltage will typically make the VS type of feeder want to shut off.