Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Welds

Plasma arc gouging works extrmely well for blowing out welds. It is easy to control the depth and width, very easy and fast. Many newer technology air plasma torchs have special gouging nozzle that create a softer arc....made specifically for gouging.
    Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Attachment 31699

I need to cut several stitch welds to remove some casters off the bottom of a cart. I used an angle grinder to cut some of them. I then switched to a mini die grinder to get in some tighter spots; that grinder was very weak. But I still need to remove some more.

The picture shows the tight spot they are in. I cannot get a grinding disc in there and I cannot get a sawzall blade under the caster base.

Can I bust them out with a cold chisel?

I did some reading on arc gouging and plasma cutting but I don't want to buy that kind of equipment just yet.

One post I researched mentioned using a stick welder turned up high and using a conventional rod to melt the weld, and letting gravity do the rest. I have a Thunderbolt AC/DC. Can I do this with the supply of rods I have on hand (I do not know what they are; they came with a welder)? Or do I have to buy some special kind of rod?

Please provide instructions on how I should do this, or point me in the right direction.

I don't want to buy that kind of equipment just yet.
    Pretty expensive equipment to cut a few welds, don't you think?

Jim, your avatar is not showing up. I know you from postings on other forums. I think you need to have some more disclosure on who you represent. And really, posting on a Miller forum?
    Last edited by Frank R; 03-04-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Well, I found some burrs but they turned out to be made from high speed steel; did not work too well.

Beat the daylights out of a weld with a cold chisel. Very, very slow progress.

Today I called my LWS to see about filling my little tanks. I also ordered a scarfing tip. They had to special order it for the size 3 torch. They gave me a nice break on the retail price too. Plan to pick it up on Saturday.

I will have to keep looking for the 1 inch wheels. The smallest that the LWS carried were 3 inch.

Can't you just angle grind/zip disk through the stitch and base's lip and then weld the lip back up. Lot cleaner then trying to pick it out with a torch.

Use an abrasive wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder, cut straight down. It will cut the leg on the side as well, then just weld up the part that was cut on the side if you are trying to save it. Once one side of the caster is cut you should be able to pry up on it and likely break the weld on the other side fairly easily. As an alternative you could use a grinding stone perpendicular to teh weld and gouge down on the caster. This will leave a bevel where the weld was, but will not cut through the side of whatever it is on. You can weld up the bevel when you weld it on the next project

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Use an abrasive wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder, cut straight down. It will cut the leg on the side as well, then just weld up the part that was cut on the side if you are trying to save it.
    I guess I could do this.

Next time bolt the casters on and avoid this problem again in the future. I see these casters have the holes in them so they can be bolted, but some genius decided to weld them on, thus causing the problem you now have.

Pretty expensive equipment to cut a few welds, don't you think?

Jim, your avatar is not showing up. I know you from postings on other forums. I think you need to have some more disclosure on who you represent. And really, posting on a Miller forum?
    I believe we all know Jim works for Hypertherm so I don't see where he is trying to "hide" anything.Jim gave an honest answer to your question and then you snip back like he is trying to sell you equipment......I don't read a sales pitch in his post.

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    I believe we all know Jim works for Hypertherm so I don't see where he is trying to "hide" anything.Jim gave an honest answer to your question and then you snip back like he is trying to sell you equipment......I don't read a sales pitch in his post.
    Noty my intent. I saw that he had an avatar, actually a signature, that was not showing. His intent was full disclosure, it just was not happening. Trying to help there.

I understood his post but he missed the point about my not wanting to go that route yet.

Of course Jim is doing a good service by educating people about the use of plasma cutters. I just thought it was a little odd to be doing it on a competitor's forum.

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    As a matter of fact, I found his suggestion very informative. We should be appreciative of Jim's participation on this forum.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800