Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Welds

Default Cutting Welds

IMG_2252.jpg

I need to cut several stitch welds to remove some casters off the bottom of a cart. I used an angle grinder to cut some of them. I then switched to a mini die grinder to get in some tighter spots; that grinder was very weak. But I still need to remove some more.

The picture shows the tight spot they are in. I cannot get a grinding disc in there and I cannot get a sawzall blade under the caster base.

Can I bust them out with a cold chisel?

I did some reading on arc gouging and plasma cutting but I don't want to buy that kind of equipment just yet.

One post I researched mentioned using a stick welder turned up high and using a conventional rod to melt the weld, and letting gravity do the rest. I have a Thunderbolt AC/DC. Can I do this with the supply of rods I have on hand (I do not know what they are; they came with a welder)? Or do I have to buy some special kind of rod?

Please provide instructions on how I should do this, or point me in the right direction.

If you crank the heat way up you can burn holes with about any rod. That can be effective.

Depending on how well that weld penetrated you could also get a mini-cutoff wheel and put it in a drill and get most of the weld and then chisel the rest. It is basically just a game of what tools you have and what you can readily get. I'm spoiled so I would just grab my plasma and knock it off in a hurry.

BTW, this is a good reason to bolt caster to something. Easy to remove. I like to weld a mount plate and then drill holes to bolt the casters onto the piece.

Good luck.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

I would suggest you get a die grinder and use a carbide ball type rotary burr and grind the weld out. After you get most of the weld ground out use a cold chisel under the plate to break it free.

It's a bit messy but it can be done with an O/A cutting torch. die grinder will also work. Take a good look at the profiles of carbide cutters available. I have some that are flat on the end with no cutting surface there and flared like an upside-down pine tree. They'd cut it almost loose then as Tackit says get out the chisel and the big hammer.
    Meltedmetal

Default Cutting Welds

I can't see the whole caster, can't you just cut the shaft for the caster and leave the plate?

You could probably cut that out with a cape chisel &/or a diamond point chisel.

Thanks for the answers.

I have a little HF mini die grinder with a small cut-off wheel that I tried for the first time after my Makita grinder could not get any closer. That thing was nearly worthless; it stalled easily. I'll try switching that wheel to a drill to see if it helps, but it won't help much due to the tight surroundings.

I had thought about cutting off the caster pillers and leaving the plate; that may still be an option. I am going to try and save them becasue these are really nice casters with grease fittings.

I have one of those Port-A-Torch outfits but I have not had the tanks filled yet.

Did some more reading on carbon arc gouging. Says it is hard on 20% duty cycle machines. But then again, I only have a few to remove.

Looks like I will try the hammer and chisel first. I will also go looking for those carbide rotary burrs I have somewhere.
    Last edited by Frank R; 03-04-2013 at 07:24 AM.

If you have an oxy/acet torch setup I would just use a scarfing tip on the torch to remove it.

carbon arc gouging is good, if you have never done it before, use a different method, once you make contact, its go, you can destroy stuff in seconds, of if not experienced, a weld can become glazed over and then the arc wont touch it, carbon bit in die grinder is the answer, buy the good bits, they are about 20 bucks, the 4 dollar bits will not work

[QUOTE=Frank R;303103]Thanks for the answers.

I have one of those Port-A-Torch outfits but I have not had the tanks filled yet. .

Quote Originally Posted by clint738 View Post
    If you have an oxy/acet torch setup I would just use a scarfing tip on the torch to remove it.
    It looks like you now have a good reason to get those tanks filled. This method will probably be the easiest way out of this situation^^^^. And you can pick up the scarfing tip while getting the tanks filled. What good is having the torch out fit and empty tanks anyway?