Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MM 211 with a 5500W generator

i think i have read 100's of forums on this subject and still no clear answer. i just ordered a MM211 and i have a craftsman storm responder' it runs a steady 5500 W and surges to like 8000 or so. i think this will run the 211 just fine' might be lacking a little heat on the 240 setting ???? the welding supply store told me it will run it just fine but after reading some of these forums i have some doubts now. i'm building a shop with it so there is no power besides generator. will be using 3'' pipe and 6'' cee purlin. any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

here's a post with miller response.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...=211+generator

In an older post I was asking about using gen power/ THD with the 211. Thought I would share what Miller said about it.

" The Millermatic 211 is pretty forgiving when it comes to input power. As long as you have a generator that is providing roughly 60Hz power and at least 7,000 watts continuous 230 volt power the unit will be fine."

thanks for the link

thank you..

Since you are building a shop with it, you will be needing power to the shop eventually anyway. Might as well have the electrical service run for it before construction begins, so you can run the welder and other power tools during the build. Just make sure to get at least 100 amp service installed so you have enough power for future uses that you may not anticipate at this time.

Me personally I would at bare min put in a 200 amp box in a shop you WILL grow into it. Do out in the beginning our you will pay 2 or 3 times more later.

Look at "portable welder," he has 200 amps of service and just got a shear. Now he doesn't know if he has enough power. The bigger the better. I always buy the absolute biggest/best I can afford. Usually in a short time I use it to the fullest or I need something bigger.

Back to your original question. That generator is a bit undersized based on what miller says. But i would bet that if you stay at 3/16 or smaller you'll be fine. You might be able to knock down 1/4" for short bursts. I would also get the genny as close as possible so you don't need an extension cord.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Thumbs up

i like the idea of going ahead and running 200A service like you said i'm going to need it anyway. i was thinking of buying a 10000 watt generaor for the build which i still might do cause i can always use it for other things. thanks for the input.

Temp power pole for construction. You will be glad to not need to refuel and listen to the genny all day. If your going to run the service just bite the bullet and enjoy it. Save your money until you actually do need the generator.

''i was thinking of buying a 10000 watt generaor for the build which i still might do cause i can always use it for other things. thanks for the input.''

What about getting a TRAILBLAZER or BOBCAT WELDER / GENERATOR ??