Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default food grade stainless

Copper will eat your heat"

OK... so you are all confused. For one if your welds are sugared on the back side you need more practice with stainless... as in speed up, and "food grade" is in the finish. It is less porous. You can get just about any stainless in food grade. And I know at one time all of us had to ask the same question!

Weldonwelding,
    If you need full pen on your weld,and there is no purge or backing..no matter what speed you going at..youll get "sugar"
    So let say i have a piece of 309 stainless kicking around i can use that for food processing??
    Heuu...bignono!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox:303064
    Weldonwelding,
    If you need full pen on your weld,and there is no purge or backing..no matter what speed you going at..youll get "sugar"
    So let say i have a piece of 309 stainless kicking around i can use that for food processing??
    Heuu...bignono!!
    They make 304 food grade, 316 food grade, 200 series food grades, 400 series food grades... there are lots of food grades. The series doesn't determine whether its food grade or not. I have been welding in food process plants for about 15yrs, mostly chicken plants and when I first started I burned through quite a bit. It takes practice. But just cause your burning through doesn't mean you have to purge or use a back plate.. most cases your going too slow. In the food industry filler metal is hardly ever used on sheet metal (like were talking about here).

..mmm
    If you dont purge on the back u cant have a sanitary weld...unless you weld both sides...(or backing or purge) it cant have a joint without welds even pin hole..gotta be white...

Specialy with beverage

I'm gonna purge them as I can't get to the back. It's thin material but I would still like some filler on hand incase I get a bit trigger happy. I know I'm gonna be using less than 30 amps and using a gas lense.

Have fun use the pulse if you can

Yeah I will.

Job complete. Customer more than happy.
    Will have to change my purge setup tho.
    Using a Y piece in the gas line didn't work too well, had Little flow to my torch. Just enough.