Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default food grade stainless

I've been asked to weld some food grade containers. They don't look anything special but what filler rod should I be using? Is 308 ok?

I spoke to a friend and he said that I should be using ER347.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

316L is food grade.

308l iswhat you need! How thick it is? You may want to back purge your weld! If you dont have any purge ,i would use a piece of red copper place tight against the joint on the back side of it!
    Dont over heat it! Itll oxidize!
    (Without purging or at least backing you will have whats call "sugar" and specialy in food grade,you dont want that!)

316l is also good!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanHerbert View Post
    I've been asked to weld some food grade containers. They don't look anything special but what filler rod should I be using? Is 308 ok?

I spoke to a friend and he said that I should be using ER347.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Normally, 304 material is what is used in food enviroinments, hence 308 filler is used. 316 is much more expensive, and not usually required for food grade service. 316 is usually suited more for chemical-resistance.

But if you need to ask the question, perhaps this job is not for you???

Why would u say that ? nothing wrong with getting straight advise on what filler rod to use better to ask now then weld it all and use the wrong filler rod on it right ?

All appliances like fridge ,stove microwave snd such are usually welded with 316 ,restaurant carts,counters and such with 308...
    You know ,its a big world the food industrie,and there is lots to know about it!
    U cant just improvise!
    You know..depending on the thickness of it and the fittings..u may not even need filler...
    Its hard to really give you a right answer to that!
    But it needs to be clean!
    Clean!
    Good luck
    Hope it helped you
    Clean

I know 316 is more expensive but cost is not the issue. If I use a copper back plate won't i still get sugaring if the temp gets too hot?
    I would like to get 100% pen as its holding liquids.

I haven't done much in the food grade side of welding. I weld aircraft parts and parts made of exotic materials. Most of it done in a oxygen free environment.

Copper will heat your heat a lot ! Make sure its thight on the back! Can you weld both sides?
    The high deal is purging!specialy when liquid is involved! How thick is it?

You dont want it to get too hot either! It will oxidize if your temp become too hot