Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project

Goodmorning everyone!!

So, this is my latest mini-project:

Recently, I wished I had a way to tack things to the "inside" of my table... Too far from the edges to conventionally clamp them... And this is what I came up with...

I bought a BESSEY 8" C clamp from the local lowes, spark tested it to determine it was malleable iron, and then cut if off and simply 7018'd it to a couple scraps of mild steel plate, which I can tack anywhere I need to...

Anyway, the clamp welded very well... It was my first time welding malleable cast iron, and first time welding dissimilar metals...

And I got another tool for the shop... I'm pretty happy with how it came out

Just thought I'd share... I'm probably not the first one to come up with this idea... Hope you guys enjoy the video, and have an awesome weekend everyone

Cool

That clamp should be cast steel and weld just like carbon steel, so not really two different metals...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Stick Welding Steel to Cast Iron + Clamp Mini-Project

Oh you just made a grasshopper /screw dog. They work real good for tacking on one piece of steel to align a butt joint or push an adjoining piece down tight.

I have a few

I have used cut off c-clamps for 25+ yrs. It's amazing the things I take for granted.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

The only problem with your welding videos Lance is THERE AREN'T ENOUGH OF THEM! :-)

You've really made my entrance into welding a lot more interesting and successful.

Thank you and keep 'em coming!
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42