Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My shop and house are at the same location, I have what they call a dual meter can stand so I have a 200 amp service for the house and a 200 amp service for the shop.

They both run off the same transformer.

The manufacturer said the shear pulls 60 full load amps at 230 volt 3 phase and the future press brake pulls 77 Full Load amps. They both have 20 HP motors.

In the back of my service truck, I have a 1500 amp 450VAC service that hasn't powered squat yet.

The National Electric Code requires 2.5 times the three-phase load current to allow for the single phase starting current and a margin of safety.

My Phoenix phase 30hp rotary converter has a max three-phase load rating of 113amps which is 45HP for starting and surge. Now 113amps times 2.5 gives me a single phase maximum current for starting and surge of 282.5 amps.

Something to think about...

I explain it like this. When you power up one of these units, your house and shop lights are barely burning, the rotary converter isn't able to get to full speed and you are wondering why that 200 amp breaker isn't tripping you will understand.
    Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 03-05-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Milkerman, I think your right, I talked to the manufacturer and he said I could use a 35Hp rotary phase converter ( However he was a little wishy washy on the phone ), I then called my electrician that I use to work with at Fedex, I use to hire him to put VFD's on the conveyors that I installed when we needed speed control ability so he not your average electrician.
    When I mentioned a VFD he said that would be my best choice because I would have true 3 phase with that ( Meaning all legs would be equal power and equal amperage.

He recommended I look at Yaskawa which led me to Hitachi and I talked to a guy there that had every answer on the tip of his tongue and he said a 40HP is what I needed and the cost is $ 1,976.00.

He said that it would have to be wired on a 100 amp breaker and that it needs to be wired into the machine controls.

The unfortunate thing is that it sounds like if and when I get a press brake I will need one for that verses being able to use multiple machines off a rotary.

Regards.

Portable you can't go wrong with a vfd they are like welders one can not have too many. When you get your brake buying a vfd will be easy same way any other 3 phase power tools. The concerns i still have is the size of your transformer on the pole being in michigan with some farms on consumers energy or detroit edison a lot of transfomers are not big enough, this could still lead to problems have your electican check this out sounds like you have a good one. I had to smile when [ every answer on the tip of tongue ] a true salesman. What models of hatachi did he quote you i looked up on the galco websit and they had 2 models sj700 ,L700 series both 40 hp 230 v input but in there manuels they both say 3 phase input only no single phase. You have a major buying decison so take your time to gather all the information that you can. For me ABB is the way to go i have had yaskawa,allen bradley,and altvar they have all died. One thing you won't miss will be the rotary phase converter. If you want to talk about my experience with vfd pm me i don't have all the answers but what i have been using works
    duane