Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use 20 H.P from http://www.americanrotary.com/ to run a lathe with 20 H.P. and haven't had a problem. The company helped to size also.
    The price was not as bad as that earlier post.
    Jeff Lund
    Lund Machine Works
    www.lundmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lund Machine Works View Post
    I use 20 H.P from http://www.americanrotary.com/ to run a lathe with 20 H.P. and haven't had a problem. The company helped to size also.
    The price was not as bad as that earlier post.
    Excellent prices!!
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Given your electrical entrance limitations have you considered using or converting your electric/hydraulic power pack to gas or diesel? Bit of a pain to have to start it up to work but much better than a hand pump. Might also consider a PTO drive from a tractor if that sort of thing is available close by or direct coupled to the tractor hydraulics if they are sufficient. Also reversible single phase electric motors are readily available.
    Meltedmetal
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 03-02-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Wyo Roy, I built my own before out of a Y- wound 3 phase motor so I kinda know how to do it, I used a little 115v motor with a vee belt pulley to get a 7-1/2hp motor going and then would energize the 3 phase motor and unplug the 115v motor. But that was a pain in the butt.
    The professional ones use what they call caps to get the 3 phase motor going which is a little out of my league.

Lund, Thanks for the site, I will have to check their price. They offer a rotary and an electronic one ( Not sure which one would be best for my application.

Melted metal, I have to belive that I could start a 30 hp phase converter and the machine on less than 100 amps. but thanks for the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

Melted metal, I have to belive that I could start a 30 hp phase converter and the machine on less than 100 amps. but thanks for the ideas.

I hope your faith is very, very powerful to get that 30 hp phase converter started...

Portable the first thing i would check is the size of the transformer feeding your place. My friend at mason mi with a grain setup on single phase needed a 100 kva transformer to run the leg and the dryer at the same using VFD's also i would double the size not 1 1/2 times been there done that

Dipsomaniac, Are you saying that because you think its going to take more power than what I have available.

I have a 200 amp service in the shop, I have 24 flourecent light fixtures that pull approximately 1.2 amps each. = 28.8 amps.
    Lets minus telephone, fax, computer, cordless chargers. and say that draws another 6 amps. = approximately 35 amps total.

That leaves me approximately 165 amps provided the compressor doesnt pop on or we have a welder on when we fire up the shear. ( Which is a good probability since we have several welders in the shop.)

I'm still researching this to avoid any problems so I appreciate every ones input.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Are you saying that because you think its going to take more power than what I have available.
    I know it will take more than 100amps to start a 30Hp phase converter. Also, Milkerman is absolutely correct about the supply transformer. You don't even know if the power company can supply you 200 amps currently, so how would I?

Dispomaniac, I assume that they are supplying me with 200 amps already because I have a 200 amp service.

So I would think I can pull 200 amps.

Or am I missing something.

In one of my earlier posts I may have stated a lower amp# because I never dreamed that a motor of that size would even come close to maxing me out power wise.

Portable in my post i talked about the in coming transformer size as may not being big enough. Its the current spike that you are going to put on it for a split second that may cause a problem. Thats when the lights dim down and you put extra stress on the start capacitors. Checking on the american rotary site they recommend for a shear a 40 hp converter. That why you need to check with your power suppler if there transformer is big enough. My friend at mason did and consumers eng was concerned about the voltage spike down line till he told them he was going to use a 40 hp abb vfd thats when they said they would upgrade to a 100 kva transformer at no cost to him. Ok this is my take on your problem find out from the shear manufactor if a vfd is the better option. if you need a small second drive to adjust the shear that is still a better option. I checked the price of a 40 hp abb drive from galco electronics of madison heights it was $3900.00 then you have the ability to ramp up the drive to get the shear running and not spike your power supply also it has all the protection builded into. The 40 hp is the correct size to use for you applaction on single phase power in the manuel it tells where the single phase wires are hooked up also you want to use a vfd motor cable to run from the drive to the motor. This option your not going to have starting problems, in this area of michigan in the ag field i know of no one going with rotary phase converters. Also a lot of electicans do not know the advantages of vfd compared to phase converters. Our major electrical contactor to the ag field north of lansing is very familiar with vfd drives and ther applaction as they have installed 100s. May be i just muddy up the waters but as you said you have to check out all options
    Duane