Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: hf 251 box

Default hf 251 box

I've been considering one of these units to plug into my cst280 and have the ability to start with hf instead of scratch. I am looking for opinions from anyone who has used one of these. I would love to get a dynasty and just use that, but that is out of my price range. My side work would support getting something like this without impacting my regular budgets. I also figured that I could use it with a trailblazer engine drive in the future.

So... opinions?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Not too many engine drives anymore have AC to make use of the HF, as for a DC machine, I suppose.

However, HF on steel only lasts till the arc is struck. Since you have lift arc, that would make the HF seemingly useless and not too cost effective. Only if your doing multiple pieces would make the HF box usefull for faster on starts.

So it could be useful on an engine drive with an ac tig output? Do the TB302s have that option?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Yes they have AC. I utilize an HF-251 for TIG on aluminum, and it works well. However, the TB302s are being phased out in favor of the TB325 (DC only), from what I have heard.

This is true. I don't think you can buy a tb302 new anymore. I'll be in the used market soon.. I'm happy to hear that it works well on aluminum from an engine drive.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Well I picked up the HF box yesterday. It came with a weldcraft wp-20 torch with protective sheath and a foot pedal. I also bought a victor journeyman OA setup at same time. The victor rig is still in the original box.

I paid $550 for both, so I think that was a good deal.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA