Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sourcing steel?

Default Sourcing steel?

Well, I had an unpleasant experience yesterday at my local steel supplier here in the twin cities, Discount Steel. The history: I am making a lead smelting pot out of 14" pipe, 5/8" wall, about 10" high. I put on a 1" bottom plate on it. I purchased the parts for it from them about 3 weeks or so ago, and as money is of course an issue, and it isn't structural, I buy it from their drop area, where everything is 55 cents a lb.

I was nearby yesterday, so I thought I would drop in again, as I was considering building a 2nd one with a little different design, this time 18" across, approx 3/8" wall, and 6 1/2" tall, with a 3/4" bottom this time. Both times I needed them to cut the my section off the pipe, which was currently about 2 1/2 - 3' long, and the stated charge for cutting is $10. I went out into the yard, and picked my pieces, made arrangements for them to cut it, but couldn't wait around for them to do it as they were a little backed up in the cutting shop, so I told them to call me and I'd pick it up the next day or 2. I had spoken to an inside salesperson, and she said that it showed on her computer that that pipe was more than the .55, but that I should go out into the yard to have them measure it and write it up based upon that measurement. When it was being rung up, they had a little difficulty determining the schedule of it, finally settled on sch 20. They had quoted me $5 for the cut, which I thought was nice of them, but I thought that maybe it was because I had recently set up a COD account in my co. name. I had a receipt printed for me, but didn't think to look at it at the time, because it was pretty simple, cut offs in the cut off/drop shed were .55 a lb.

I got a call from them a couple hours later, I missed it but called them back, and was told it wasn't ready yet, they had called my by mistake. I had grabbed my receipt to get the number to call them back, that's when I noticed the pricing for the tube. I was charged .90 a lb, so while I was on the phone, I mentioned to them that I think there was a mistake, it was a drop and should be priced accordingly, but we could fix it when I come to pick it up. I was told that the larger diameter steel tubing shouldn't have been in the drop area, that it is next to it(?), and after some back and forth discussion, basically was told that I got a good deal by I believe the owner. I disagreed, and explained that I had just purchased the same thing a few weeks earlier for the stated price (.55 lb) and after being put on hold, a mgr came back on the line, and said that with the cut, the pipe was now priced at $70! Hmm.. needless to say, I accepted their offer to just refund the money, and mentioned I'd like to talk to the owner again. Of course, couldn't get thru to him, so left him a VM explaining my thoughts on the situation asking him for a return call so we could discuss this a little more, as they are one of the larger suppliers around here that sells to the public, and I have been buying from them for a number of years. Admittedly not huge quantities, but still, they were my place to go when I needed steel.

I don't want to burn any bridges of course, but I don't feel we are going to have a positive outcome with this one. Which gets to the reason for this post. Unfortunately, steel is heavy, and shipping is expensive. I did a little looking a year or 2 ago for another local supplier who sells to the public in small quantities, and didn't come up with any good options at the time. I buy almost anything on the net, but I can't imagine that steel would be a decent value, especially as I usually buy drops at a discount. I have tried recently talking to local scrap yards, but most won't sell used steel due to liability concerns... D*mn lawyers...

So, I was wondering what other people have done, if they have had a single main supplier in the area whose relationship has soured? I may be unusual as I am not a large volume purchaser, nor do I often need anything better than drops, but I have to think that I am not alone in this situation. Anyone have any suggestions for locating another source? I am still hoping to talk with them today, and working it out, but it has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth being treated like that. Sorry for the long post...
    Last edited by alha; 02-28-2013 at 04:17 AM.

I don't think you should damage your relationship with them if you need them. You stated you almost always buy from the drop section & expect a discount. They do everyone a favor by offering this service. $5 or $10 for a cut is cheap to start with.

So lets see what the costs are. 18" od pipe x 6.5" long x sch 20= about 32#. At .55 a pound it's $17.60. At .90 a pound it's $28.88. There must be something more if they are charging you $70.

Maybe the $70 includes the 3/4" plate also? An 18x18x3/4" plate would weigh about 69#x .55=$38
    Last edited by MMW; 02-28-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Large diameter pipe is very expensive, The labor for his man to lift a heavy pipe like that, get it to the saw and do a nice cut should have been a $ 20.00 cut.

$ .55lb is a good deal, All the places around here would make you take the whole lenght of whats in the drop area and not let you cut it off and leave them with a smaller drop.

Keep in mind, They are almost giving it to you at their cost, The owners not making anything on the cut charge except covering the employees wage, and now you want the owner to call you back and take up even more of his time.

Trust me when I say your getting a great deal, I just ordered 1,252 lbs of steel today and my cost was $ .695 a lb. and I just had a 15,000lb order less than a month ago.

My suggestion to you is that if the owner calls you back, Tell him there was a mistake and that his people took good care of you.

What Portable said.

My advice, get over it. Any steel or pipe supplier that will sell a small piece of pipe, to a low-volume customer, is doing that customer a favor. Remember, one man had to operate the forklift, bring the material to the saw. Another man had to measure, clamp, and cut. Then the forklift had to come back twice, once to remove the piece you need, also to remove and place back in stock the remnant. Then, you show up, the forklift (with operator) has to load it onto your truck.

In any case, sounds like you don't have any options.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I usually buy in bulk but every once in a while I will need a short piece of pipe or I beam. The way I got it worked out is I bring the guys that work there a case of beer every once in a while and I am free to grab whatever scrap I need. They scrap some pretty crazy stuff... just last week there was 6' of 8x18 I beam. You definetly don't wana burn bridges with them cuz even selling it @ .55 a # isn't too bad, they could charge you the price per foot. And $10 cut charge was pretty cheap

I have purchased from them before and they have always done right by me before. I have bought some large pipe from them and I was always charged the higher price. So I would say your lucky! I also buy steel from Winnick Supply in Forest lake. They have always been great to deal with.

unless i have a job scheduled with tons of steel, i stock my shop with drops, its not so much the price it is the various pieces that i can stock, a small guy cant stock every piece in 20 foot lengths, so drops are very important to me, but to the supplier, as mentioned earlier, they could care less, they have already made their money, they are doing you and myseld a great service, if i went out of business today, my supplier would not even notice, suck it up and move on

Well, I didn't hear back from him, but I may stop back in and have a quick chat. I guess, from reading your replies, that I got a decent price on it, but my thought was that this piece was most likely going to be scrapped, and the .55 was above what he'd get for scrapping it, though the labor for cutting would be more than what I paid, certainly. Regardless, I'll go back in and talk with him, and say sorry for the misunderstanding. As Kevin said, if I never came in and bought another piece from them, they wouldn't notice, that's for certain. Just a bummer that things aren't what they are labeled as. I'll post what happens once I have a chance to stop in and talk with them, it's better than on the phone I figure. Thanks for your perspective, everyone.

Oh, and DSL Power, thanks for the suggestion on another local source! Do they sell drops and such?

MMW, I think the $70 price was a "FU, take it or leave it, buy it or don't, we don't care" price.
    Last edited by alha; 03-04-2013 at 06:01 AM.

its best to not burn bridges, steel suppliers are a welders life line, the smart way to handle this is to find a salesperson there that you feel comfortable with and stick to that person when ever possible, build a relationship, then issues can be talked out before all turns to unnecessary drama

^^^^ amen