Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Welding Table Receiver Tubes - A different idea

I will be building my welding table soon, and I like the idea of mounting my vise on a square tube that inserts into a larger square receiver tube on the table. I have seen pictures of people who mounted them horizontally and vertically.

I was wondering if I could use round tubes in place of the square tubes. If I mounted it horizontally I could pivot the load on the tube sideways. Imagine a vise's base plate welded to the side of the inner tube. When I want to store it I can rotate it on the tube and slide it underneath the table. This way a very heavy vise does not have to be dead lifted vertically and placed in a tube; it just has to be rotated upward.

If designed correctly, the base plate can slide onto the table top in the upright position. A large set screw on the side of the outer tube would secure the load in place.

Similar plates could be used for mounting a grinder and even a chop saw. All positioned around the table so their tubes do not interfere with one another.

Any thoughts?

Can I buy steel tube that has a slip fit into one another?
    Last edited by Frank R; 02-27-2013 at 04:36 PM.

You are going for more options than I needed - I built one last year for my garage needs, I am a retired hobbiest.

I used the hitch receiver welded to the table and then a section of 2" tubing with my vice mounted to that - I do have to remove the std pin and slide out to exchange other/additional platforms. My vise rotates and locks in position so I thought that would be all I needed.

Here is another pic of a later cart project I made for my Syncro 200 but you can see how the table has evolved since - the vise is visible as well as the shelf I added with expanded wire at the bottom of the table

Last edited by TxDarth; 02-27-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

Standard 2" (nominal size) pipe fits fairly snugly into 2 1/2" schedule 40 pipe.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I used square tube, took the rock out by welding two 1/2" or 5/8"? jamb nuts about 6" apart on the outside tube.

Nice work and design on the cart too Roger.

tackit, the OP specified he wants the assembly to rotate, kinda hard to rotate square tube, don't you think?????
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Standard 2" (nominal size) pipe fits fairly snugly into 2 1/2" schedule 40 pipe.
    Thanks; these are about the sizes I had in mind.

I wouldn't want to rely only on a Set Screw (even a large one) holding the round tubing secure- especially for the Chop saw.

More work but I would drill a hole for a Hitch pin to slide through both tubes.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I wouldn't want to rely only on a Set Screw (even a large one) holding the round tubing secure- especially for the Chop saw.

More work but I would drill a hole for a Hitch pin to slide through both tubes.
    If the flat mounting plate slid onto the table top, even a bit, than a set screw would probably be sufficient. But, I had thought of using a pin as well.

I have slip joints on adjustable stands I use for work to position large beams while working on them. I drilled holes in the outer piece of pipe welded nuts for 3/4 in bolts to create bungs. Then I just thread the bolts through the holes and hold the inner tube with the tension. Plenty strong, and they are infinitely adjustable, which I need. Good luck with your project. Post some pics after its done.