Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filling a weld

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Here is the right side of the handle. The welds are on the back side, out of view.

If I weld around the pipe perimeter I will have to do a lot of grinding that may affect the shape of the angle and would only add work and be less attractive. I would find it very difficult to access the inner areas.
    Attachment 31673
    Frank
    My preferred version of that would still be to put the tube on the other side of the angle where I could easily reach it to grind(could be that I have tools you don't?). To weld it as it is in your photo I would knock the corner off the pipe with the grinder so it would fit tight to the angle and run a bead on about 1/3rd of the perimeter on the bottom and whatever I could manage across the top on the other leg of the angle. I don't know exactly how much you are going to pull around with this but unless you turn green and really bulk up when you get angry(turn into the Hulk) you won't be able to pull those two welds off. The welds should then be easy to reach for grinding and if your fit is good the paint will cover the seam on the rest, if not bondo it. Or you could cut the upper leg of the angle back to the center off the tube and weld it there and radius the other leg of the angle to match the tube radius and weld. Also easy to finish I think.
    Meltedmetal

The tube was the original handle from a work cart and it was held on by bent sheet metal brakets; I am just relocating it on my welding cart. I removed the old brackets and ground away the old welds; I am not doing that again. And I do not have any more tube.

I am happy with the welds on the sides you cannot see in the picture, they are plenty strong.

The lesson I learned here is that the inside face of the angle web is not parallel to the outside face. If I cut the end of the tube at a slight angle than the gap would not be so large. I would'nt mind welding the gap closed, it is just the grinding in the tight confines I am trying to avoid.

Do welders use rotary carbide burrs for this kind of thing?

Looks like a little filler work this weekend.

Do welders use rotary carbide burrs for this kind of thing?[/QUOTE]

I do, but only when I can't get it with a 9" angle grinder cause they are slow by comparison. Effective but slow.
    Meltedmetal