Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default removing green coating

I'm repurposing some pipe. It will not function as pipe anymore. I need to remove the green coating efficiently. Rapid strip wheels on the grinder are going to take forever.

Is the coating made from epoxy?
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

It's a sprayed on epoxy coating, meant to last a long time underground. There isn't a fast/easy/cheap way to remove it. Wear a mask if you have a lot of it to do.
    Bare pipe would in the end be cheaper most times. Free, coated pipe involves a ton of labor and consumables to make it clean & bare.
    You can burn it first, but it's still a lot of work/expense.

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Hey neighbor!

That is what I was afraid of. I don't have too much, but a couple hours worth of grinding. The funky wire wheel I was using was effective, but it was easily used up.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Default just a thought

do you need the whole pipe cleaned off? if not, just clean where your going to weld.

That would work, but then the finished product will not look perfect! Just a looks thing.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

you can chip it off a lot easier than burning or grinding.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    you can chip it off a lot easier than burning or grinding.

I'd like to know what tool will chip off FBE??

JT
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Haha me too! I made quick work of it with a 40-grit flap wheel to take most of it off and then clean it up with a quick strip disc. I was hoping for a chemical that would do all the work for me,sort of like removing hot roll mill scale...
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

Default removing green coating

Did you try a needle scaler?

That green or red epoxy is a mother to get off. Here's what I know works best.

If you can, heat the inside of the pipe to 300F - 350F. The epoxy on the outside will soften and peel off with a putty knife. You can clean up the exposed surface with a stripper wheel or flap disc.

If you can't heat the inside of the pipe then you can apply heat to the outside with a weedburner or rosebud. BUT, you need to be very controlled with the torch. The coating will scorch and the smoke smells terrible; it's probably not safe to breath either.

Heating the inside is best. If you don't want to use a putty knife you can use a wire cup or brush. BUT, you don't want to make a bunch of airborne dust out of the epoxy either. I have been told by a reputable source that breathing the dust is also very bad for you.

If you must grind, you and a friend should where particulate filters and use a shop vac with a good filter to collect as much of the dust as possible. Again, I don't recommend this at all. Much better to soften the coating with indirect heat and peel it off in large pieces.
    Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com
    Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas