Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Cruizer, Need help comparing CST 280 welders several years old versus new

I'm looking at some used CST 280 DC stick/tig welders. Was wondering if there is any difference in the ones made back in 2005-2008 versus the new ones made in 2013?

Looks like these older welders with a few leads can be had for in the range of $800 to $1,000. Not sure if this is a good buy or if these welders could be at the end of their life span since they use IGBTs?

Are these circuit boards potted to prevent problems with moisture or dirt exposure?

Has there been any changes to the circuit boards that would make repairing a older unit difficult if it ever needed it? Like compatibility issues if older than a certain serial number.

Unit I'm currently looking at is S/N:
    LH400095G

Can history on this unit be pulled up and checked for history of services or repairs if they ever occurred?

How expensive could it be repairing a CST 280 if things like IGBTs go bad? What is the worst that could go wrong?

Looking at a unit with Tweco connectors, but not sure if I should wait for a Dinse style unit since I want to do some tig with the unit too.

Thanks you for your help!
    Clint
    Last edited by clint738; 02-25-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Hey Cruizer,

Do you know if there has been any changes to the circuit boards that would make replacing a board or IGBT setup on an older CST 280 a problem?

Like if there was compatibility issues between other boards with newer revision boards?

Just want to know if it could be a pain (difficult or really expensive) if I ever had to repair a used CST 280.

Thanks!

There was only one change, and that was in 2008. but I think that one had the update. Mearly a fuse change for the 230 operation.

As for repairs, no I can't see them. Besides, when you see it and it works correct, all you do is take it home, and do my suggested preventative maintenanc.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    There was only one change, and that was in 2008. but I think that one had the update. Mearly a fuse change for the 230 operation.

As for repairs, no I can't see them. Besides, when you see it and it works correct, all you do is take it home, and do my suggested preventative maintenanc.
    By preventative maintenance you mean just taking the cover off and blowing the dust off of everything with some canned air just like on computers?

Anything else besides that?

Any suggestions on testing the welder that everything works correctly other than just striking an arc with it and verifying the current output can be changed?

On the CST-280, any idea what will happen if the dial is turned past 200A (i.e like from (210-280) on single-phase? Does the welder just limit the current so it can't go past 200A or will it cause a bad change in the output?

Just wondering that since I find it odd there is the knob that can turn beyond what the output is capable of on single phase. Almost seems like telling someone, "do not turn the knob past this point"... or else ?????

Thanks!

Well, what really happens is you get less of a duty cycle on single phase. Heats up and will cut out faster than on 3 phase.
    Last edited by cruizer; 02-25-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Well, what really happens is you get less of a duty cycle on single phase. Heats up and will cut out faster than on 3 phase.
    Oh, so welding at higher than 200amps on single phase is possible with just a lower duty cycle.

Is the lowered duty cycle similar to the v275-s at 35percent at 275amps?
    Or is the operation further limited to ensure longevity?

Will the welders duty cycle protection still kick in to prevent damage if used at higher than 200 amps on single phase?

Thanks!
    Last edited by clint738; 02-26-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Of course, its there to prevent a problem, however, you need to follow a yearly preventative maint program. that includes blowing it out, and tightening specific components.