Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Constructive criticism...

New to the site. Looking for criticism on my welding. Keep in mind that I have never done this before. I got the urge to weld after going through some of the post here. I do have to say that is not as easy as I thought it would be. I use an AC welder and 6013 3/32. All I did was drag the rod no motion at all. So please be as honest as possible. Thank you.

E.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not bad for the first time. Looks like you could increase your amps a bit a use a slower travel speed. I just used some 6013 a few days ago. Nice rod on AC.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

I agree with a little higher amperage. Something to be practicing is keeping your bead dead straight. It will come with practice. Also being relaxed and comfortable will help while learning.
    MillerMatic 251
    CST 280 w/tig torch
    HF-251-D1
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Not bad for the first time. Looks like you could increase your amps a bit a use a slower travel speed. I just used some 6013 a few days ago. Nice rod on AC.

Thank you, I had the amp at 115; how much more should I have used? and how do I determine the travel speed?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis View Post
    I agree with a little higher amperage. Something to be practicing is keeping your bead dead straight. It will come with practice. Also being relaxed and comfortable will help while learning.

Thank you.

Judging travel speed takes practice, just slow down a little and see what it looks like.

However, I think it looks great for your first time.

Dont be to discouraged when you go to do a verticle up weld ( That takes alot more practice ).

Turn up the heat. You should concentrate on watching your puddle. As you watch the puddle form and fill into the weld area you will be able to better judge your travel speed which appears to be too slow. You are doing well for just starting.

They look alot better than my first beads. Just keep practicing.

Default Getting started

There is nothing funner than learning to stick weld. Once you figure out your heat setting and travel speed you can start to play with weld motions. After time and lots of beads laid down you can look back and see all the differences in outcome. When you finally get a great bead and think you have it down try again! It's funny how while learning to weld your finished product can vary so much. Keep at it and stay comfortable as you work and take your time. Just have fun with it and your skills will follow

Brace yourself against the welding table or something solid and use two arms to weld with. Hold/brace the arm holding the stinger with your free hand to steady your welding hand, you'll gain more control. I've hung pipe wrenches on pipe to get a steady rest for my free arm. Stay at the top of the weld long enough to fill the creator before moving ahead so you don't have undercut. Make good solid tacks always.

Try different heat settings and travel speeds until your weld looks good, has no porosity and good penetration. Practice, practice, practice.