Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default welding aluminum with the spoolmate 100

I recently purchased a Millermatic 211, and also got the spoolmate 100 spool gun to try some aluminum welding. The welder works awesome on the steel projects i have done, but i cant seem to get the spoolgun to work like i want. I have a hard time getting a puddle to form, the wire seems to burn up before it hits the metal. I have tried the settings recommened on the machine, and tried extreme settings but it doesnt seem to change much. When i leave the wire out about 3/4", it seems to just dissapear when i pull the trigger. I used .030 5356 wire at first, but switched to .030 4043, which seems to be better in that i can sort of leave a bead, but still cant see a puddle or wire, just a glow. I am using 100 % argon gas. I am trying to weld 1/8" thick aluminum sheetmetals and sqare tubing. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Try turning the thickness to 3/8, & wfs to 100.

turbo38t Guest

Not too familiar with that spoolmate but on a spoolmate 30 I think I ALWAYS start out with my voltage on 5 or so and keep my finger on the wire/amperage adjustment and start out with TOO much wire and then back it down. Also, make sure you are using 100% argon....NO C25....I almost always push the puddle with a spoolgun
    Quote Originally Posted by jhamm75 View Post
    I recently purchased a Millermatic 211, and also got the spoolmate 100 spool gun to try some aluminum welding. The welder works awesome on the steel projects i have done, but i cant seem to get the spoolgun to work like i want. I have a hard time getting a puddle to form, the wire seems to burn up before it hits the metal. I have tried the settings recommened on the machine, and tried extreme settings but it doesnt seem to change much. When i leave the wire out about 3/4", it seems to just dissapear when i pull the trigger. I used .030 5356 wire at first, but switched to .030 4043, which seems to be better in that i can sort of leave a bead, but still cant see a puddle or wire, just a glow. I am using 100 % argon gas. I am trying to weld 1/8" thick aluminum sheetmetals and sqare tubing. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

This has been posted more than few times, try a search on the Spoolmate. It all comes down to a tip issue for this model.

It sounds like your wire feed is not high/fast enough. Also there is issues with the tips.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Wire feed speed check your manual what kind of wire speed they have on the newer units not as fast as they used to be don't ask me how I know.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill do a search on the spoolgun.

460 Ipm on 211 auto set is tops I have a older 140 that will do 600 Ipm a little bit of difference the 140 has got plenty wire speed but not enough heat for aluminium millermatic 252 700 Ipm tops

I didn't have any problems with the tips provided.

AL can be frustrating - everything needs to be set up precisely, any minor change has a major effect😜

Push while welding al.
    Stick out
    Contact tip to work distance- the distance between the end of the wire and the work

Check the drive roll tension on the gun

Once arc is established you gotta boogety boogety as it is a lot faster than welding steel.

The bottle of Argon could be contaminated
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Use 035 instead and up your speed if your using the 30