Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Brushless Generator

Does a brushless generator head have any advantages or disadvantages over one with brushes?

Well, no brushes to wear out and replace. Also no brushes means less friction so maybe more efficient. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Default brushless

be careful .you should have bruhes,because they protect your generator. thats why they wear down. the generator will not be harmed. just relace them and your good to go.
    in time you could be replaceing your generator.

Quote Originally Posted by welding insp.48 View Post
    be careful .you should have bruhes,because they protect your generator. thats why they wear down. the generator will not be harmed. just relace them and your good to go.
    in time you could be replaceing your generator.

huh?? lots of brushless generators around, very little distortion, pure sinewave output.

Brushes wear down cause of friction with the rotor's sliprings.

A brushless generator is almost always pure signwave, extremely low distortion. A brush system has high distortion, and cannot be a pure signwave.

Reason I was asking, there is a brand called Titan by TitanIndustries that states they use brushless heads on their generators. A couple of them for sale around here had me looking into the brand.

Looks like they use dirty marketing practices and I can't find much positive about the company other than what they put out themselves. Even one of the sellers can't get any answers from them.

I decided not to buy one after I started this post. Yea, I'm still looking for wheels and mobile power. It is like some kind of mid life crises that is driving me insane 24/7,
    I can't get it off my mind.

Craigslist is full of those titans for a reason start searching Craigslist for a older onan 1800 rpm unit 120/240 4k , 5 k whatever come over to a site called smokstak its got a onan forum and all generator forum you will like it