Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default galvanized water pressure tanks

Any ideas of something I could build out of 2 old galvanized water pressure tanks?

Hate to sound negative but do yourself a favor and scrap these things,in my younger years I let myself get talked into foolish things and one of them was to cut these tanks in half,weld legs on them and the local farmers would use them for hog waters,If you do breathe the nasty white smoke and get ill,drink milk ,won't cure you but might make you fill better.6011 is one rod to use on galv.# 2 iron brought $240.00 a ton in my area this week.No idea what the pay for tanks.Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Forger View Post
    Hate to sound negative but do yourself a favor and scrap these things,in my younger years I let myself get talked into foolish things and one of them was to cut these tanks in half,weld legs on them and the local farmers would use them for hog waters,If you do breathe the nasty white smoke and get ill,drink milk ,won't cure you but might make you fill better.6011 is one rod to use on galv.# 2 iron brought $240.00 a ton in my area this week.No idea what the pay for tanks.Good Luck

I could not agree more with forger, this is messy and dangerous to your body stuff to mess with unless absolutely necessary. My shop only welds it once the area to be welded has been truly grinded down and cleaned properly before we throw a bead, but i usually try to stay away from it. Good luck and i hope you get something out of them.

Thanks for the concern guys I have worked with some galvanized before and know it is nasty stuff to work with. Was planning on really grinding it and wearing a respirator. They just seem like they could be useful for something. Just don't have any ideas right now.

Cool

I made a gun safe from an old 80 gal one 34 years ago. And the milk is a myth because you would need to suck it up your nose with a straw to coat your lungs too. Best to use a resipirator since they are designed for that. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I made a gun safe from an old 80 gal one 34 years ago. And the milk is a myth because you would need to suck it up your nose with a straw to coat your lungs too. Best to use a resipirator since they are designed for that. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Nobody ever died from "zinc poisening",,,,, you may feel like you are,,,, you may want to end it, but zinc in and of itself,,,, will not end your life unless YOU choose it to do so.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Cut the ends out & weld them together end to end (doesn't need to be watertight) makes a cheap light duty culvert pipe.
    Meltedmetal

Sounds like you know what your up against....sorry to assume otherwise
    Good Luck

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Nobody ever died from "zinc poisening",,,,, you may feel like you are,,,, you may want to end it, but zinc in and of itself,,,, will not end your life unless YOU choose it to do so.

Totally agree, welding galvanized is no worse for you than welding any other steel and should be treated with the same precaution. Most of the fumes it gives off are zinc.
    Barbecue or smoker?