Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Fittings on Oxygen Supply Line

Can galvanized fittings be used in an oxygen supply line? The gauges on my oxygen tank are too low for me to read and I want to arrange them so they face up rather than forward. Brass fittings cost 3 to 4 times more than galvanized.

Twist the regulator and position it easier to see before you tighten it.

All fittings used in fuel gas and oxygen lines should be of a non-sparking material...

Quote Originally Posted by bayweld View Post
    All fittings used in fuel gas and oxygen lines should be of a non-sparking material...
    Follow this advice. Three to four times the cost in this instance is only a couple dollars. Brass is also a soft material so it seals better & less chance of ruining the regulator body.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default brass

as you have been told and i agree. use only brass.
    the reason is safty. any spart generated by anythink like steel could cause harm,to you.
    yes they cost more,or do you what to be hurt or injured or worse?
    do what is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry:302542
    Twist the regulator and position it easier to see before you tighten it.
    I second that... makes sense.

Be sure you get fittings rated at the proper pressure if you're also modifying the high pressure gauge.

I don't know what the specs are for oxygen service, but I imagine the brass is used for corrosion resistance. I don't know how well the galvanized will hold up. It may quickly corrode all the zinc, and then start attacking the steel.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE