Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: weather temps

Default weather temps

Hey does anybody know is it ok to leave a small inverter in the back of an SUV or outside in a non climate controlled shed/garage year round being exposed to new England heat and cold?will the electronics stand up to this?

A small inverter what?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Dynasty or diversion 180

I would think the manual would state what temps the unit can be operated in and storage temps also. I would not want mine in an uncontrolled enviroment. metal and electronics can get cool and as they warm will condensate depending on dew point etc. . If needed to be stored that way, I would put unit in plastic bag with something to absorb moisture and seal it off well after squeezing all the air out of bag. Those are small units. Why not keep in house.

BTW..if you take welder out of cold temps, do not open bag until welder is up to room temp. Have you ever has glasses on in cold weather and then walked into a warm area. Almost instant fogging.
    Last edited by monte55; 02-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I keep my Diversion 180 in the garage. I've had it for a year now and it gets down to 30 degrees in the garage in the winter and 110 degrees in the summer. The temp doesn't change fast but........

I use mine almost every day so I wouldn't want to keep it in the house like Nick suggests. My wife probably wouldn't like it either.

Nick's suggestion of checking the manual is a good one. But I just checked my manual and didn't see anything about storage or usage temperatures.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

My Pipe Pro is an inverter and it rides down the road rain or shine, winter summer, It goes from being 65 in the shop to 20 degrees outside and I start it up after its been out in the cold, It then gets real warm in the cabinet with engine running.

I'm sure there may be a difference between machines designed to be in the elements...ie sealed circuit boards and connectors as opposed to units that are not. Cruiser should chime in.
    Last edited by monte55; 02-22-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge